Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime complaints

Options
  • 02-11-2017 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

What's the point of Amazon Prime? I got it recently and absolutely everything I try to watch says it's not available in your location. Why does it even come up? I tried buying a few box sets from Amazon.co.uk to watch and got the same thing, you need a uk address. What's the point of Amazon Prime if you can't watch anything on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You need a VPN for the full prime to work or get the Irish version for movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Keith186

Did you try watching stuff on primevideo.com ?

What devices are you using? You can get the amazon app on PS4 if you have that. You should be able to watch some shows,just not all of them. You can play it on a fire stick on your TV by casting it from the prime video app on your phone.

Shows like Ray Donovan, Sneaky Pete, The Man in the High Castle, Mr Robot etc should at least be working for you or it's definitely not set up right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

ps3lover wrote: »
    What's the point of Amazon Prime? I got it recently and absolutely everything I try to watch says it's not available in your location. Why does it even come up? I tried buying a few box sets from Amazon.co.uk to watch and got the same thing, you need a uk address. What's the point of Amazon Prime if you can't watch anything on it?

Your either using the wrong app or visiting wrong site for Ireland. Check settings and region in the app. Fire stick won't work as it's connected to uk site.

Also check your region settings on your device. Make sure it's set to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

The Irish version is still extremely limited in terms of movies and their self made shows don't come close to Netflix in terms of quantity.

I have it but only because its on the reduced rate, don't think I will keep it beyond that unless it improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I've had a couple of months trial. A few things worked when I watched it through PS4 but the fact the Prime delivery doesn't stretch this far, I didn't renew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

It doesn't seem to be promoted or even listed in the Comedy TV section, but they added all episodes of Two and Half Men today. Not my cup of tea, but what a bizarre service to not highlight it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

It’s insanely bad compared to Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Needs some time to improve currently paying 3 euro a month for it. It's just about worth that , unless they step up their game massively I won't keep it at full price. American gods and Mozart in the jungle are the only reason I have it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

The selection is terrible and trying to actually play the content would drive you mad.

I've a TV with Prime Video app and got a Fire TV 4k to test it out as a 4k streamer, neither work with primevideo.com. The TV app used to work with amazon.co.uk via smart DNS but doesn't seem to any more.

When you visit primevideo.com for the first time after having an amazon.co.uk account, you get a prompt asking do you want to transfer your prime account. I can't find anywhere to reverse this.

The Windows prime app doesn't do 4k or surround sound.

The whole thing is a confused mess. How the Fire Stick / TV can't tell the difference or work with primevideo.com is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Use IPVanish for a VPN, it's a very reliable service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

I cancelled it recently (as I wasn't using it) and an ebook I bought was removed from my library. Wtf.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Looks like there's a new Fire Stick on the way for those outside the US and UK. Exiting Fire Sticks / Fire TV boxes will probably remain locked down.

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-releases-fire-tv-stick-basic-edition-in-over-100-countries/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I cancelled it recently (as I wasn't using it) and an ebook I bought was removed from my library. Wtf.

You will never own the ebook purchase with Amazon as you only bought a licence to read it. They will take it away from you once you shut down your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

I use the Xbox app, wanted to watch The Exorcist TV series and it won't let me, mother ****ers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Keith186

doylefe wrote: »
    Looks like there's a new Fire Stick on the way for those outside the US and UK. Exiting Fire Sticks / Fire TV boxes will probably remain locked down.

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-releases-fire-tv-stick-basic-edition-in-over-100-countries/

Looks a bit pricey! Think I got my non-voice remote one for £25 last year on black Friday. New one will probably be reduced to something similar.

I have to say it was a great buy for my kitchen tv which only had about 7 channels. Having Amazon prime, Netflix, and YouTube available along with all downloaded videos on my hard drive plugged into an android box on the network suddenly made dinner time more entertaining.

There is some good stuff on prime but we definitely get a raw deal compared to UK and USA in terms of selection and even the quality of some shows were only in HD but 4k HDR in other regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Keith186 wrote: »
    There is some good stuff on prime but we definitely get a raw deal compared to UK and USA in terms of selection and even the quality of some shows were only in HD but 4k HDR in other regions.

The US version is a different animal entirely, there is simply no comparison. The UK is not as good as the US but still a different league to the Irish version. Links to all 3 libraries below. In fairness the Irish one did enjoy a brief moment mid year where it looked like Amazon gave a sh1t about us but it soon passed and all they add now is old stuff and junk with the odd few decent TV shows, there really isn't much substance to it and I honestly wonder if the Irish version is long for this world, it certainly isn't sustainable as it stands beyond the 2.99 intro price tag. I really just keep it because for 2.99 why bother ditching it, I know @ 5.99 it's still almost half the price of Netflix but I couldn't justify it, at least it's made Netflix up its game and better to pay 6.99 for disneylife as an add on for kids movies.

US
    https://www.justwatch.com/us/provider/amazon-prime-instant-video

UK
    https://www.justwatch.com/uk/provider/amazon-prime-instant-video

IE
    https://www.justwatch.com/ie/provider/amazon-prime-video

• Registered Users Posts: 12,118 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Any way to adjust the video quality using a smart tv?

blade1 wrote: »
    Any way to adjust the video quality using a smart tv?

Outside of the TV's picture settings it should just max up to 1080 if the internet speed is good enough. If only there was a way a Smart TV could adjust the quality of the videos themselves, dreadful library after a few decent titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,118 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Dave..M wrote: »
    Outside of the TV's picture settings it should just max up to 1080 if the internet speed is good enough. If only there was a way a Smart TV could adjust the quality of the videos themselves, dreadful library after a few decent titles.

Thanks Dave, I was hoping to drop the quality a bit as I have only 50gb allowance on my broadband bundle.
    Yeah, not much on it but I just signed up for the free trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

The US version is a different animal entirely, there is simply no comparison. The UK is not as good as the US but still a different league to the Irish version. Links to all 3 libraries below. In fairness the Irish one did enjoy a brief moment mid year where it looked like Amazon gave a sh1t about us but it soon passed and all they add now is old stuff and junk with the odd few decent TV shows, there really isn't much substance to it and I honestly wonder if the Irish version is long for this world, it certainly isn't sustainable as it stands beyond the 2.99 intro price tag. I really just keep it because for 2.99 why bother ditching it, I know @ 5.99 it's still almost half the price of Netflix but I couldn't justify it, at least it's made Netflix up its game and better to pay 6.99 for disneylife as an add on for kids movies.

US
    https://www.justwatch.com/us/provider/amazon-prime-instant-video

UK
    https://www.justwatch.com/uk/provider/amazon-prime-instant-video

IE
    https://www.justwatch.com/ie/provider/amazon-prime-video

I too fear what you wrote (bolded).
    I regularly check the Irish justwatch and the quality of new additions is plain dreadful. I had hoped that, at this stage, we'd start to see more of the content thats available on the UK version, but we are still not getting even a fraction of that. The disparity between what Netflix have given us (UK parity) and what Amazon drip-feed us is shocking.

Also worth noting that the justwatch site is not always reliable and can even be misleading. Clicking on The Americans, for example, shows all six seasons. But dig a bit deeper and you see that only the first two are actually available in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Been paying 2.99 a month for this since Jan 2017, I must say bar the odd winner it's been a colossal disappointment. When I say a few winners I mean TV only, movies are all utter and complete dross, some of the stuff it puts at the front is hilarious, right now under the first few 'Top Movies' I have; 'Night Call Nurses', 'Nazis in the CIA' and 'And did they Listen?' , that last one has a UFO on the cover. My account says next month is my last 2.99 month and in a way I am glad that I can finally use the full price as a reason to cancel this farce. Anyone else still use it or am I alone in my Primevideo sub?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Been paying 2.99 a month for this since Jan 2017, I must say bar the odd winner it's been a colossal disappointment. When I say a few winners I mean TV only, movies are all utter and complete dross, some of the stuff it puts at the front is hilarious, right now under the first few 'Top Movies' I have; 'Night Call Nurses', 'Nazis in the CIA' and 'And did they Listen?' , that last one has a UFO on the cover. My account says next month is my last 2.99 month and in a way I am glad that I can finally use the full price as a reason to cancel this farce. Anyone else still use it or am I alone in my Primevideo sub?

I use it to watch Seinfeld but that’s basically it. There’s a few gems in TV as you said but other than that it’s a mess. If they put a bit of work into it it could be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

From a tv point of view its fine for 2.99, as Amazon are at least adding their own original content as well as a smattering of "Amazon exclusives". What annoys me is that they rarely expand their back catalogue of shows after adding just a season or two of them, even though the shows in question could be years old and all seasons available on their UK service.

Their movie selection isn't even worth talking about.

Agreed, looking forward to watching latest Goliath and would keep it for 3 quid but the frustration around what it could be is annoying. If you check out the justwatch websites for other territories (add two letter country code at end) the frustration levels just increase (I know that's not a fair comparison but if Netflix & SKY can add the same content in both UK & IE regions then surely Amazon could if they were bothered.). I threw a last gasp effort there a few weeks back and emailed jeff@amazon.com (supposedly Jeff Bezos public facing email), I got a response from 'executive' customer services but the usual effusive apologies and empty promises to look at the content for both regions. Sure swing them an email if you're feeling bored

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Amazon added a few decent films there today, Inglorious Basterds,Scarface,8 Mile, Jarhead to name a few.

den87 wrote: »
    Amazon added a few decent films there today, Inglorious Basterds,Scarface,8 Mile, Jarhead to name a few.

a glimmer of hope,...

Advertisement