Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What tog weight for a quilt in Ireland - is 13.5 too warm

Options
  • 02-11-2017 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭

Anyone an opinion ?

Best quality material ? What to avoid ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

I use a 13.5tog. I'm used to it and find it fine. What do you use currently? Regarding materials, what is your preference? I like down but my partner is allergic, so we got anti-allergy synthetic filled quilts. If you feel the 13.5 could be too warm, you could get a lower tog and supplement with a blanket during winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

It will depend on many things OP.
    Your bedroom, insulation, size etc.

You might find 13.5 too warm except for maybe colder months of January, February.
    An all-seasons quilt might be the one for you.
    It is 2 quilts that are connectable usually with little clips

https://www.google.ie/search?q=all+seasons+duvet+clips&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjHj6Tg26DXAhXDtRoKHVKmBooQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=662#imgrc=UWCGhIb6X_MP7M:

The material again will depend on you, go to a few stores, Arnotts, Brown Thomas and you'll be able to talk to staff about differences and have a feel.

TK Maxx might be worth a look but you won't be able to feel the materials as they will be all boxed and sealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭worded

Found some lovely super king feather luxury duvets. So could a super kings extra foot be foled over and may be sewn to fit into a king size duvet cover ?

IKEA have tog 12 duck feather

Or amazon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

6 togs is sufficient for Eire if one is fully pyjamaed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Can't really answer that as so much depends on your house, and how you personally like to sleep. Me, I like my bedroom to be cold and I find it very hard to sleep in warm rooms.

We used to have quite a heavy duck feather duvet (14 tog) in our old house, which was a big old Georgian building. When we moved to our new house, where insulation is much better, we ended up with a lightweight (4 tog) duvet, and even then that's sometimes way too warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

worded wrote: »
    Found some lovely super king feather luxury duvets. So could a super kings extra foot be foled over and may be sewn to fit into a king size duvet cover ?

Save yourself the hassle and buy the quilt that fits your cover, otherwise it will never be right.
    I think someone mentioned above that you can buy a 'mutli season' quilt that is effectively two quilts of different tog values that can be stuck together during colder months. If you don't know what tog value to go for this would allow some flexibility in deciding what suits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Candlemania

Yes, everyone is different and you won't know until you test it yourself.

I like to have 20°C in my bedroom and sleep under 13.5 tog duvet... for the summer months I change to 10.5 tog. But I know people who would be roasting in such conditions and even in the cooler months would have to sleep with open windows!

I would just advise to avoid buying the cheap duvets from Aldi/Dunnes/Penneys (unless for a once off use), as their outer cover is made from a synthetic fabric called interfacing, which feels very plasticky and the quality of filling is very poor. Ikea and Next Home have good quality duvets at affordable prices. At shops like Brown Thomas you'll have the quality, but you'll also pay extra for the brand

Advertisement