Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please recommend a TV set

Options
  • 01-11-2017 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I have a fairly old TV set but am thinking of replacing it.
    I would like a small TV suitable for using Virgin Media (multiroom) and Netflix.
    The TV I have is a Philips one, and my remote works on it. Is it a problem if I chose another brand?
    My other TV is a Panasonic, but recently I find Samsung products excellent.
    I would welcome suggestions to this rather vague query.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Hi,
    I would welcome suggestions to this rather vague query.

Well the first suggestion is to make the query less vague !
    I would like a small TV suitable for using Virgin Media (multiroom) and Netflix.

What do you think is "small", how big are the TVs you have at the moment ? Do you want a TV that has the ability to access Netflix built into it ?

The TV I have is a Philips one, and my remote works on it. Is it a problem if I chose another brand?

Which remote do you mean, the Virgin TV remote or some other remote ?
    My other TV is a Panasonic, but recently I find Samsung products excellent.

Which Samsung TV has impressed you, someone here might have a similar model and could give you their opinioin as an owner.

A bit more information might help some one answer your query.

Cheers,

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭noelfitz

Ritz, many thanks for your reply, which I appreciate, and it helps me clarify my thinking.

I want the TV for a second room, where I have a Virgin Media digital box. To get Netflix at present I need a phone, Chromecast and two remotes to access it, so I want a small smart TV to simplify viewing Netflix.

The smallest I see is 24". The front-runner now seems to be a JVC 24" LED Smart TV (153455).

Alternatives would be welcome.

Does the JVC seem a good choice?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

If you're looking for a TV that size for a second room then as long as it has smart features built in, ie Netflix app built in, and preferably a LAN socket to let you connect it to your Virgin box, then you should be good to go. I'm not familiar with the TV you mention in your post, if it meets these requirements and you're happy with it then you should be all good.

Cheers,

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭noelfitz

Ritz
    many thanks,
    I take your advice, and have gone for the JVC.
    It is a case of two steps forward, one step back. I have it working with Virgin Media but not with the internet. I am learning about the TV, but is the problem with Netflix, Virgin Media or JVC? An advantage of having Boards.ie is that I can compose a general query and get an overall view. Even composing my query is helpful and it clarifies the issue.

Advertisement