Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Free Milk Alternatives - how long do they last?

Options
  • 01-11-2017 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭

Was looking for a Dairy Free Milk Alternative for my porridge.

I don't use much and so I really hate buying a litre of Alpro or whatever as they recommend using it within three days .

Do you really need to use it up within 3 days?

Are there smaller versions out there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭MissMayo

You can divide the milk into portions and freeze them off you have to stick to buying the large cartoons. I have never paid attention to how long I've had milk open for and I've never had it go rancid and I'd almost guarantee you that I have had some cartons open for 4 or 5 days.

Could you make your porridge with milk instead and mix in some powdered soya/coconut milk? I'm not sure how well it would work or taste but it may be worth trying. If you do decide to try this then make sure to check the ingredients, recently I almost accidentally bought some powdered coconut milk in Holland & Barrett's that contained whey powder!

Tesco sell packs of small Alpro soya milk, they only seem to do vanilla, strawberry and chocolate though so if you want plain then these might not be any good to you.

https://m.tesco.ie/mt/www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=276760322

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Unopened, they last quite a while. On the soya milk in my fridge, it says consume within 3 days when opened. However i have yet to see it go off. Will easily last a week.
    As for the porridge, go with oat milk. Tastes great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Thanks for the help guys

Got Oat Mlik from Alpro.

On;y 1.50 for a litre.

Porridge and tea both taste nice.

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Got Oat Mlik from Alpro.

On;y 1.50 for a litre.

Porridge and tea both taste nice.
    Yes. Just had a cuppa with oat milk. Tastes nice alright. I think the nicest is oatly. Costs €2 in Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I love the idea that it can be frozen, I use oat, soya, and almond milks, love them, use them in hot choc, and cereal will be trying them in smoothies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Does anybody find it worthwhile to make your own nut milk? I made almond milk once or twice, it's actually very easy to do, but I ended up throwing away the leftover nut meal as I would never use that much ground almond/other nut/seed/oats, whatever.

Also full disclosure, I hate cleaning my blender afterwards, but that's just an aside. I'd be interested to know if others actually make their own 'milk' and how they use up the leftovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Does anybody find it worthwhile to make your own nut milk? I made almond milk once or twice, it's actually very easy to do, but I ended up throwing away the leftover nut meal as I would never use that much ground almond/other nut/seed/oats, whatever.

Also full disclosure, I hate cleaning my blender afterwards, but that's just an aside. I'd be interested to know if others actually make their own 'milk' and how they use up the leftovers.

I used to make my own, must get back to it to be honest as I feel its great stuff, I would make a blend typically either almonds, hazelnuts and cashews on a 2.1.1 ratio or a single nut (really depends on whats in the press) with a couple of dates for sweetness sometimes, mostly not. I would always fortify with a liquid b12 too.

As for the pulp I would firstly dry this in the oven on a low heat (about 120deg c fan) till it was dried out between 30 and 50 min typically, then I would combine with peanut butter, oats, cinnamon and agave nectar or golden syrup (golden syrup works best but if i had none, agave works perfectly well). It should be dry enough to crumble but still clump together. Everyone loves a big chunk of granola.

Then spread on a lined baking tray and bake till golden brown at about 140 deg c again between 30 and 50 min (the time varies depending on how wet your mix is.)

Seriously tasty granola. Its a pretty robust mix so you can play with different flavours / seeds too in the granola and add dried fruit to the container after its cooled so you don't have to stress it in the morning when you are in a rush.

Bought some Oatly the other day in Tesco. Nice in tea and porridge...

Love the branding

http://www.oatly.com/

There's s new Oatly, (new to me) called Oatly Barista. It's nice in tea but it's wonderful in coffee. Very creamy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement