Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N16 Glenfarne realignment

Options
  • 01-11-2017 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any info or pics on the recently conpleted section of N16 near Glenfarne, Co. Leitrim?
    Been a while since I was up that way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

Was on this strech last weekend, great bit of road but only a drop in the ocean.... Sligo Letrim and Donegal need a good bit of investment in infrastructure before they get hammered by brexit, i know its a full border length issue, but infairness to Louth Monaghan and Cavan there getting a great bit of Motorway each.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I was up this part of the woods a few days ago and took a few pics

N16 -1.jpg

n16-2.jpg

n16-3.jpg

n16-4.jpg

n16-5.jpg

And two more

n16-6.jpg

n16-7.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Nice Photos!

Just a quick question: Is the road built to Type 2 SC or Type 3 SC specifications?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Middle Man wrote: »
    Nice Photos!

Just a quick question: Is the road built to Type 2 SC or Type 3 SC specifications?
    Type 2 single I would imagine.

Really good landscaping on this section. Fair play to contractors involved. Thanks for the snaps roadmaster, much appreciated.

• Advertisement

It was standard carriageway for most of it but there is shoulders on the western end from what i can remember.

In Marnos point about landscaping the batters are done really well for fitting in with the natural landscape in the area. If they did a smilar job between manorhamilton and sligo i think it could be one of the most beautiful drives in ireland especially in the hills/mountains around glencar has it as amazing views

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Most of this route will be done to Type 2 single carriageway I would imagine, with parts Type 1. The main improvement here is the new road being cut through whatever geography presents itself instead of winding through it. There is similar work being done on the N86 in Kerry and to say the new road is an improvement is an understatement - it's a complete transformation.

I agree re 2nd point - hopefully these alignments come faster because the realignments really open up the road and provide some great views - in addition to the journey time and safety benefits. The lack of ambition is really an issue here on the part of the Government.

I was between Sligo and Manorhamilton last week and it’s looks like a new phase of works has started. There is plant on site with a compound setup . New fence lines and site clearance completed

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

roadmaster wrote: »
    I was between Sligo and Manorhamilton last week and it’s looks like a new phase of works has started. There is plant on site with a compound setup . New fence lines and site clearance completed

Excellent news.
    This'll be the Lugatober realignment.

Advertisement