Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call Me By Your Name - movie

Options
  • 01-11-2017 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭

Gay-themed movie Call me by Your Name is out in cinemas now.
    Has anyone seen it, what did you make of it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

I've only heard about it but I must admit, I'm not sure it's something I'll go to see.

I remember years ago as a teenager thinking Loving Annabelle was a great film (there were so few as a baby gay) but with adult hindsight I can see it wasn't an appropriate relationship at all, at all. Granted, the age difference is less in this and there doesn't seem to be a power dynamic like you'd find in a student/teacher relationship.

Have you seen it OP? If so, would you recommend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I've only heard about it but I must admit, I'm not sure it's something I'll go to see.

I remember years ago as a teenager thinking Loving Annabelle was a great film (there were so few as a baby gay) but with adult hindsight I can see it wasn't an appropriate relationship at all, at all. Granted, the age difference is less in this and there doesn't seem to be a power dynamic like you'd find in a student/teacher relationship.

Have you seen it OP? If so, would you recommend it?
    I haven't seen it.
    I usually go to see LGBT themed movies if they look any good.
    Recent LGBT movies I've gone to see were Carol and God's Own Country.

There has been something made of the age difference issue in this movie, across the globe, with some trying to tie into child abuse/paedo realms.

The main actor in the movie Armie Hammer got into a back-and-forth with actor James Woods.

I will probably go see it.

Here's a report on the Hammer/Woods affair

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/09/14/armie-hammer-takes-on-james-woods-over-tweet-about-gay-age-gaps/

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

Going to see it this evening. Saw God's Own Country a couple of months ago, have to say I thought it was brilliant. Very atmospheric, lovely location in a harsh and unforgiving countryside, great song and nice story. Sobering recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

24 and 17 doesn't strike me as that much of a problematic age gap to be perfectly honest.

I mean, it is obviously a difference, but it's not "call up the Daily Mail" difference. 17 is above the age of consent isn't it?

There does exist a bit of a double standard, as evidenced by James Woods' comments (Jesus that guy is a asshole), when people see these age gaps in same-sex relationships vs. heterosexual relationships.

Don't think I'll go to the cinema for this anyway, unless reviews/word-of-mouth are really strong, but I'll probably have a look when it gets to streaming services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I don't understand the above comments.

You haven't seen the film. You don't get what the story is trying to convey. Stop making connections where there are none.

I thought it was outstanding, myself. The monologue at the end made me weep. So many complex emotions these men go through.
    Goodshape wrote: »
    24 and 17 doesn't strike me as that much of a problematic age gap to be perfectly honest.

I mean, it is obviously a difference, but it's not "call up the Daily Mail" difference. 17 is above the age of consent isn't it?
    From the perspective of life experience, it is significant. This film has nothing to do with that though.
    Don't think I'll go to the cinema for this anyway, unless reviews/word-of-mouth are really strong, but I'll probably have a look when it gets to streaming services.

It's running 98% on Rotten Tomatoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

Went to see it on Friday. 6 out of 10. Think the older actor may have been cast a bit old tbh. However I just didn't feel invested enough in either to actually care what happened, much different to God's Own Country.

Mind you it was beautifully shot and the location was lovely. Just not sure if sir through it if I knew what it was going to be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Interesting film, enjoyed the symbolism of the fly that keeps appearing, the forbidden fruit and the sore the older guy has on his hip.
    Overall it was probably a bit long and I disliked the pseudo-intellectual discussions between the young lads dad and the older fellow. It was all a bit much. Some amusing parts in it too.

I have to say I was a bit uneasy with the sex scenes, only because the young lad is significantly smaller than the older one and he has quite narrow shoulders like a boy would so when they're topless rolling around together I did find it a bit gross that way. Overall I'd give it 3.5 out of 5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

era didn't really see the point in it - well, not with regards to Oliver anyway... what was going on with him? Gay or not? Obviously much older than Elio.. and what made him change his mind about being with him? Seemed to come out of nowhere.. unless did he know that Elio had slept with Marzia?

question - after Oliver left, and when Elio was chatting to his Dad, did his Dad say that he was gay? Elio asked "if mom knew?" - was he asking if she knew that his Dad had said he was gay (this was after he said that he came close one time - pardon the pun) or was he asking if his Mum knew about him and Oliver?

And was strange how Marzia forgave him like that - if that was any other girl they would be heart broken and hurt.?

I dunno - I watched it - I could see the point of Elio and where he was coming from - but the movie felt a bit too self important for my liking...

PS The scene with the peach was difficult to watch but very well done.. I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I thought it was a beautiful film. The ending was bittersweet to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

sporina wrote: »
    question - after Oliver left, and when Elio was chatting to his Dad, did his Dad say that he was gay? Elio asked "if mom knew?" - was he asking if she knew that his Dad had said he was gay (this was after he said that he came close one time - pardon the pun) or was he asking if his Mum knew about him and Oliver?

The father says that he was close to being or having a relationship with a man.

Regarding the mother: In the film it's a bit ambiguous, but she obviously knows about Oliver and Elio. It's more than implied with her knowing glances and her suggesting that Elio should accompany Oliver to Bergamo (and then picking him up from the train station). So it's probably Elio asking whether his mother knows about his father's experience.
    In the book it's different though, Elio wants to know whether his mother knows about him and Oliver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

Space Dog wrote: »
    The father says that he was close to being or having a relationship with a man.

Regarding the mother: In the film it's a bit ambiguous, but she obviously knows about Oliver and Elio. It's more than implied with her knowing glances and her suggesting that Elio should accompany Oliver to Bergamo (and then picking him up from the train station). So it's probably Elio asking whether his mother knows about his father's experience.
    In the book it's different though, Elio wants to know whether his mother knows about him and Oliver.

That makes it even more complicated!
    And in the book, did the Dad allude the same?

Thanks for the reply - i really miss the discussion board on IMDB - i wonder why they got rid of it.. twas great

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

How did I watch that and completely miss the part where the dad said he nearly dated a guy? Wow..I loved that scene though, very touching

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

wakka12 wrote: »
    How did I watch that and completely miss the part where the dad said he nearly dated a guy? Wow..I loved that scene though, very touching

As said by a previous poster, or a question asked by them, did the father come out to Elio.

That was the reading I had of it, it was done very low key, not a revelation as such.

The end of the movie was a bit rushed I felt.

I enjoyed the movie, the music, a character in its own right, was cracking.

Its a growing up story, not a gay teenager or gay love story.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lyinghere

I really enjoyed it.

I did think the lad playing Oliver was far too old though, he looked more mid 30's than 24 in my opinion and it did make it feel a bit strange at times.

Where can I find God's Own Country? I missed it in when it was in the cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

lyinghere wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it.

I did think the lad playing Oliver was far too old though, he looked more mid 30's than 24 in my opinion and it did make it feel a bit strange at times.

Where can I find God's Own Country? I missed it in when it was in the cinema.

It's on the torrent sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭fletch

Have watched both and in my opinion God's Own Country is much better than Call Me By Your Name

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Watched Call Me By Your Name a couple of nights ago. Absolutely loved it. Beautiful location, story, and people. Wonderfully shot. Really enjoyable, emotional, heart warming, heart wrenching. Perfect.

I was genuinely worried that
    Elio's nosebleed was going to come back later in the film as some incurable deadly disease, just to add some drama to the whole thing. Was delighted – and honestly surprised – to find it just wasn't that sort of film; and it didn't need to be. The emotions were pure and real and didn't need any contrived "big event" to make the viewing experience worthwhile.

And I also watched God's Own Country then last night. Also a good film but, in contrast to Call Me..., it did feel like the sort of gay romance we've seen many times before on film. Decent, but I much preferred Call Me By Your Name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭ignorance is strength

Watched Call Me By Your Name a couple of nights ago. Absolutely loved it. Beautiful location, story, and people. Wonderfully shot. Really enjoyable, emotional, heart warming, heart wrenching. Perfect.

I was genuinely worried that
    Elio's nosebleed was going to come back later in the film as some incurable deadly disease, just to add some drama to the whole thing. Was delighted – and honestly surprised – to find it just wasn't that sort of film; and it didn't need to be. The emotions were pure and real and didn't need any contrived "big event" to make the viewing experience worthwhile.

And I also watched God's Own Country then last night. Also a good film but, in contrast to Call Me..., it did feel like the sort of gay romance we've seen many times before on film. Decent, but I much preferred Call Me By Your Name.

There’s an article floating around somewhere suggesting that the (non-spoiler!) spoiler above, the infected gash on Oliver’s side and the presence of a fly in several scenes are subtle nods to the impending Aids crisis in America: that, in some abstract sense, the characters are carrying the illness that will later kill so many of their kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

There’s an article floating around somewhere suggesting that the (non-spoiler!) spoiler above, the infected gash on Oliver’s side and the presence of a fly in several scenes are subtle nods to the impending Aids crisis in America: that, in some abstract sense, the characters are carrying the illness that will later kill so many of their kind.

Omg I wish I didn't read that thats so ridiculously depressing ..but it makes sense there was so much emphasis on the fly especially there must be a reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭ignorance is strength

wakka12 wrote: »
    Omg I wish I didn't read that thats so ridiculously depressing ..but it makes sense there was so much emphasis on the fly especially there must be a reason

I’m sorrrry!!! Tbh, even if it was intended, I prefer to think of the flies as conveying the stifling (symbolic) heat of that summer of love and the nose bleed, maybe, as indicative of his inability to control his bodily fluids (which we see again in the ditch)! Art’s meaning is subjective, and to me this piece of art, perhaps unique in LGBT cinema, captures a character exploring his sexuality, without there being overt societal prejudice,
    and the maturing experience of one’s first lost love. (The fly at the end recalls that summer, as Elio tearfully ruminates on it.) Amazingly, I feel I have a really firm idea of the Elio who gets up from the fire, returns to America and falls in love again; not many films leave you with that.

This is the article I was referring to, btw.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Armie Hammer is stoking rumors that a sequel is in the planning stages.

Separately to this the director Luca Guadagnino has already said he'd love to do a sequel set 5 years after the first movie and touching on the beginning of the AIDS crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

I watched this and God's Own Country (which is on Netflix if you have it) a while ago. I think God's Own Country was a better film but I liked both for different reasons. If you haven't seen it, look for a film called Weekend also (I think it's on Netflix too).

Advertisement