Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Razer Gamer Phone announcement 8pm Today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Pointless product. I was pretty sure all this "mobile gaming is the future" finally got a good reality check.

Then again, what do cool kids play these days on mobile? Clash of titans and flappy bird? Those must be sick at 120hz. Watching microtransactions being paid at that refresh rate must be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

OSI wrote: »
    I don't get what it's purpose will be.

Yea that's the bit i'm struggling with, if it's only another phone you can game on while touching the screen i'll be a bit disappointed.
    Just on phone specs the battery is massive hopefully that screen doesn't take the good out of it. Suppose we'll know in an hour or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think there is a definite point to it, all mobile games are not Clash of Titans and Candy Crush!

There are loads of advanced FPS, racing, simulation and action games on the Android marketplace that do require hefty power to run very well.

These are all standard android games for example, running them at ultra settings on a 1440p screen takes pretty serious heft (like this phone):

Haven't tried to play any of those on mobile always found using the touchscreen to be a pain, fine for a couple of minutes but not for something serious. If the sony xperia play was launched now it'd probably be a success Android wasn't ready for it back then.

Still thinking this will double as a steam streamer if hooked up with a razer controller.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Tell ya what, give me some sort of "dock" for it and it becomes a replacement desktop with those sorts of specs :)

As a VR Headset, the 120Hz is really important. I still think that if VR is really going to take off, then it'll be via mobile phones cause €500 for a device that *only* does the VR stuff is madness and will never appeal beyond niche.

All that said, Razer make decent products, but they're the super-car of peripherals - you can definitely get better if you know what you're at, but when you've got money and not a whole lot of time for research, they're not bad.

• Advertisement

It’s got the screen of an iPad Pro and the Ram of a Mac book pro, graphics card probably bigger than apples as well : )

Certainly would work as a portable computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

If he says its got duel front facing speakers or that its beautiful again I'm switching off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

VeVeX wrote: »
    If he says its got duel front facing speakers or that its beautiful again I'm switching off.

"insane"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

$699 from 3 mobile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

The Verge review is pretty bad

ElNino wrote: »

Gotta admit I did laugh at the Apple wise cracks and the toaster references :)

The fist dude who won the phone looked so non interested tho :confused:

Venom wrote: »
    Gotta admit I did laugh at the Apple wise cracks and the toaster references :)

Free toaster and i'm sold..

The battery nearly does it for me alone, hard to consider an iPhone X with a one day battery and made of glass for 480 more.
    Design wise they couldn't be further apart, still if apple can sell out a phone with a bit of the screen missing razer might be onto something giving them speakers:)

That was a pretty scathing review and the only real bad one i've seen everyone else seems pretty positive. After reading the Verges iPhone X review i'd take anything they say with a pretty big pinch of salt, Apple looks to have only seeded demo phones to a very select bunch of reviews the Verge being one of them. It'll be interesting to see what happens when the real reviews appear instead of the fluffy ones out so far, https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2017/11/01/apple-iphonex-review-restricted-limited-scared-wrong-spin/#674846895cc9

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Kinda like the idea of it in spite of myself. I'll keep an eye on the price as it's something that could drop quickly if they don't sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

i kinda like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

As the owner of a Fractal R5 case I kind of take exception to some of the comments made about what gamers expect from a phone like this, aesthetically speaking of course. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

was hoping that this would be like the xperia play from years ago , with a slide down controller.
    xperia-play-ps-hack_0.jpg
    Specs are great and all but its a bit pointless if its using a touchscreen only on something phonesized.
    There's always VR , but with no proprietary headset for it , and the likes of oculus go and santa cruz on the horizon its not great..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't play too many games on my phone but when I do I use a bluetooth 360 style controller, most games work 'out of the box'. Some Blitz Brigade and Modern Combat.

I honestly can't understand how people play advanced action and FPS games on phones using the touchscreen controls, they're beyond awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Ive a shield tablet,use a xbox one controller with it. Works great.

As most have aready said touchscreen controls are garbage.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,167 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Do ye put the phone/tablet on some kind of mount or just leave it on the table in front of you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

For the shield you can buy an official cover that folds and works as a stand,keeps it propped up in front of you.

432388.jpg

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Do ye put the phone/tablet on some kind of mount or just leave it on the table in front of you?

Can hook it up to a TV and play Android and PC games with a controller on the big screen as well.

Venom wrote: »
    Can hook it up to a TV and play Android and PC games with a controller on the big screen as well.

If you’ve an Nvidia graphics card you can stream your pc games to it, hooks up to the TV via HDMI cable. It has screen mirroring so presume you can play android games the same way but haven’t tried android only pc games on it.
    If you want to play your pc games a steam link and one of the new Xbox controller is a lot cheaper option and it’ll also work as a kodi box using your pc as the brains, you can launch the kodi app from steam while streaming to the TV.

I expected the Razor phone to do the same and probably will through an update in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

its going to be available on 3 network.. have an upgrade coming up so it is in the running..

bigphil2 wrote: »
    its going to be available on 3 network.. have an upgrade coming up so it is in the running..

It’s only available on 3 in Europe. Limited edition one for first buyers not sure how many though won’t be much only about 1300 worldwide.

It’s only available on 3 in Europe. Limited edition one for first buyers not sure how many though won’t be much only about 1300 worldwide.

i was directed to the 3 ireland site,and you can put your name down for the limited one.. maybe thats all theyll be doing though

• Advertisement
Advertisement