Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intercountry adoption process - what should we expect?

Options
  • 01-11-2017 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

We contacted Tusla several months ago to begin the intercountry adoption process. We were told that we would need to attend a group meeting but they could not tell us when or where this would occur. They didn't seem to want to answer any questions.

It is astonishing that the process is so ad hoc and opaque. We understand that there are not enough social workers and that for the welfare of the children they must take their time to assess prospective parents, but it is just so slow and mysterious.

Is there anywhere we can get more detailed information?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I can't help with your specific query but as an adopted person who has engaged with TUSLA as part of my attempt to trace my birth family I share your frustration. They may be short staffed but that doesn't excuse the lack of professionalism which sadly seems to be too many peoples experience of dealing with TUSLA.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lois Lance

Hi Hermy
    We are currently going through this process and unfortunately its all very slow. We contacted Tulsa in Jan 2016 and went to our first group information meeting the following month. From there we contacted Tulsa again to register our interest in going ahead. In September 2016 we went on the course (6 1/2 days every 2 weeks). In February this year we were assigned our social worker who is currently doing our assessment. We are hopeful this will be completed shortly. Once the social worker has done the assessment our file will go before the board in Tulsa who meeting monthly. Depending on what the outcome is at the meeting hopefully our file will be sent to the AAI and they will either accept or reject the file.
    Its a long haul unfortunately and every step takes time. I would suggest that you contact your local Tulsa office again and ask that your name is put down for the group meeting as this is the first step. They will only hold a meeting when they have enough people registered to attend. Same with the course (our course we had 6 couples in attendance )Wishing you all the very best with the process :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The IAA should have information available, Trish there is very experienced in these matters.

https://iaaireland.net/wordpress/

Been through the process twice but not recently so our experience is out of date. It’s slow and frustrating but it’s an important process so can’t be rushed.

Support groups as above are extremely important during the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

Thanks everyone for your advice. I spoke to Trish at IAA and she was really helpful. We don't mind the process taking time, we knew it would take years, but it was frustrating have so little information. We're feeling much more comfortable and positive about it after speaking to Trish.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

If you are in the west of the country WIAO - western intercountry adoption organization is a great source and support tool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rainemac

As a matter of interest to ppl, the IAA is closing its doors due to lack of funds at the end of this month! Very sad for intercountry adoption community.

rainemac wrote: »
    As a matter of interest to ppl, the IAA is closing its doors due to lack of funds at the end of this month! Very sad for intercountry adoption community.

Awful loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

rainemac wrote: »

That's a real pity. Is there anything that can be done? What is the shortfall?

We knew nothing till an email came informing the service was coming to an end due to a shortfall in funding.

I’m sad that it’s come to this. We’ve been members for more than 15 years and attended many great talks and events.

Advertisement