Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Clody Cemetery

Options
  • 31-10-2017 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Greetings! I am planning a trip to find the graves of my ancestors, and I have reason to believe that some may be buried at a cemetery called "Old Clody". At first I believed that Old Clody referred to the cemetery at Cloydagh Church, but now I suspect that the church and cemetery I'm looking for are no longer in use and possibly in ruins. Is anyone aware of the location of Old Clody? Directions or GPS coordinates would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JohnSutton

Hi, thanks very much for sharing that thread. I think the church and cemetery I'm looking for are different from the Cloydagh church, however. From what I've learned in the last day or so, I think the place I'm looking for is somewhere around GPS coordinates 52.803522, -6.981874. I don't see an obvious building there on Google Earth, but some other sources suggest that the church may be in ruins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

The location of the church in ruins and graveyard is on the older Ordnance Survey maps and Griffith's Valuation map, which are online.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JohnSutton

Thank you for the suggestion! I checked the Griffith's Valuation map and it appears that the ruined church and cemetery are indeed at the coordinates I suspected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

JohnSutton wrote: »
    Thank you for the suggestion! I checked the Griffith's Valuation map and it appears that the ruined church and cemetery are indeed at the coordinates I suspected.

I've been down that way before and it's fairly over grown but I managed to get the MTB down there so you should be able to hike in no bother. I don't recall seeing a church or signs of a graveyard but the trees are dense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I've been down that way before and it's fairly over grown but I managed to get the MTB down there so you should be able to hike in no bother. I don't recall seeing a church or signs of a graveyard but the trees are dense.

The church was already in ruins when the Ordnance Survey maps were being drawn up in 1839 and gravestones might have fallen down. There's a description of the church from page 235 onwards here http://www.askaboutireland.ie/aai-files/assets/ebooks/OSI-Letters/CARLOW_14%20B%2014.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Vetch wrote: »
    The church was already in ruins when the Ordnance Survey maps were being drawn up in 1839 and gravestones might have fallen down. There's a description of the church from page 235 onwards here http://www.askaboutireland.ie/aai-files/assets/ebooks/OSI-Letters/CARLOW_14%20B%2014.pdf

I'll keep a better eye out next time I'm down that way.

Advertisement