Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iMac HDD replacement puzzle

Options
  • 31-10-2017 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭

The hard drive failed in my 2011 27" iMac recently. When I boot into disk utility and try to repair or format, it fails and tells me there are smart errors.

I did a bit of reading up, mostly ifixit articles and how-tos, and it seemed the only obstacle to replacing the drive is that it needs to be replaced with the same make of drive due to how the temperature monitoring is done.

So I got in to the computer and found a Seagate 1TB hard drive, so ordered a new Seagate 1TB hard drive. When I fitted it and booted into setup the new drive wasn't showing up. Neither as an option to install OSX onto, nor as a physical drive or volume in disk utility. As a sanity check, and to make sure I hadn't left anything disconnected, I put the old drive back in and it was exactly as it was; partially booting, showing in DU, still borked.

Figuring the new drive must be DOA I returned it and got a replacement, same make again. Just fitted it there now and it's exactly the same. The computer has no idea it's there.

Anybody come across this before? I haven't done much inside computers since I went mac but my understanding is that SATA drives are plug and play, right? No jumpers or addressing to be concerned with? Unless there's something glaringly fundamental that I've missed, I'm stumped.

Advertisement