Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

late season snowboarding advice

Options
  • 31-10-2017 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭

Due to circumstances, we will be taking our snowboarding trip later this year. Likely to be just a couple, my wife and I.
    So I'd like some advice.
    We'll aim for a high resort etc.
    But should we book early or wait for a last minute deal and run with that (obviously we will be way out of peak season)?
    We've always gone with a group and booked early by ourselves (no tour operators) , have our own gear, no lessons needed.
    Should we book ourselves or go to a tour operator, if a tour operator then which ones are good and which ones are bad?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

How late are you thinking?

I would go DIY but if no good deal on flights comes up from now to 4 weeks out from your trip then opt for a tour operator closer to the date. Fluctuations in flights and tour packages will come later in the season depending on snow conditions, particularly from late March. Crystal and Topflight are the two main ones, but then you have others like Highlife, worth ringing them all and asking to go on their cancellation list for the dates you have in mind. Worth setting up an alert on Adverts/DoneDeal too as I always see packages pop up their from private sellers, it's just a small fee for a name change then with the tour operator.

Also, check out snowheads forum for their end of season bash, they're going to Val Thorens at Easter. They always get a great deal (excluding flights)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Thanks for the reply,
    Mid March, but our plans are very up in the air. Just trying to get my ducks in a row incase all other plans fall through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Diemos wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply,
    Mid March, but our plans are very up in the air. Just trying to get my ducks in a row incase all other plans fall through.

I always go to Chamonix for my late-season trip, I love it. It's close to Geneva airport, and the town itself is lovely. The town is a short bus trip away from the main slopes but it's worth it, it's really nice bing able to snowboard during the day, then walk around the town in short sleeves in the evening. Hotel prices are lower too, and there are fewer people on the slopes.

We've always booked by ourselves, I don't see any benefit to using a tour operator, and never have.

Only negatives I can think of are, depending on how late in the season you go, you could be limited to the Grand Montets ski area, but it's pretty big and there is lots of off-piste, suitable for both beginners and advanced, so you won't get bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

stevire wrote: »
    How late are you thinking?

I would go DIY but if no good deal on flights comes up from now to 4 weeks out from your trip then opt for a tour operator closer to the date. Fluctuations in flights and tour packages will come later in the season depending on snow conditions, particularly from late March. Crystal and Topflight are the two main ones, but then you have others like Highlife, worth ringing them all and asking to go on their cancellation list for the dates you have in mind. Worth setting up an alert on Adverts/DoneDeal too as I always see packages pop up their from private sellers, it's just a small fee for a name change then with the tour operator.

Also, check out snowheads forum for their end of season bash, they're going to Val Thorens at Easter. They always get a great deal (excluding flights)

Yeah, VT would be a good bet too, it's usually open until early may, and lots of good snowboarding. I'd prefer the Chamonix off-piste, and Chamonix town but that's a personal preference, your opinion might differ. VT is a longer drive from Geneva though, so if it's a short trip bear that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I wouldn't call mid march late ha, it would be a lot more reliable than mid January if the last 2 seasons are to go by. Tignes another high up resort where it will be snow sure most the season.

• Advertisement
Advertisement