Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon hiring days

Options
  • 31-10-2017 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, just wondering if anyone else is attending the Amazon software engineer interview blitzes over the next couple of days? What are you doing to prep? I'm looking at the 14 Principles, data structures, searching etc., optimisation.

I don't know what level they will want from an experienced developer... a lot of this stuff is from college and not used day to day. If you have had one of these days (pretty intensive 6 interviews in 1 day), let me know how it went :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

I don't know what level they will want from an experienced developer... a lot of this stuff is from college and not used day to day. If you have had one of these days (pretty intensive 6 interviews in 1 day), let me know how it went :)

It was the case a few years ago that all the questions they use during the phone screen with a complete set of perfect answers was available on the internet. You just kept open the document and pretended to "just know" the answer.

Mentioning the fact that this document existed went down like a lead balloon with them and led to instant rejection instead of the correct reaction which is to not follow the preordained script and/or replace the script.

Any interest that I could have had working for that company evaporated at that point. Maybe they've improved in recent years, but I always got a sense of an overworked sweatshop there. All of the senior C++ leadership that worked for them quit en mass a few years ago, they've since had to offer a premium to hire potential future C++ leadership young engineers as none of the senior folk will now touch them. Of those young engineers, they report working there is the same as at any tech multinational, it's the usual well paid mindless drudgery. But I still find it surprising that none of the senior folk will return there. Perhaps they're not willing to compete on pay.

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Well-paid but still a sweat-shop, lots of people burn out after a year or two. Can get similar money elsewhere with less grief.

Advertisement