Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike without logbook

Options
  • 31-10-2017 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Hey hoping to get some advice on this.

I've been offered an old Yamaha yb100 from a relative for free.
    The issue is that he was given the bike from a neighbour years ago without a logbook.

Do I just need to fill in some form and request a new logbook or what?

I think the bike spent a few years in a ditch so I wouldn't know the last registered owner.

The bike is in pieces and in pretty rough shape. The engine runs so it could be a fun project over the winter but there's no point if I can't get it back on the road afterwards.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Have you an experience in restoring bikes?
    "spent a few years in a ditch" sounds pretty bad to me.
    Pics?

Are you sure this is no scrap? (Sorry)

As far as I know, so long as you have the VIN and Reg you can request a new log book.
    I'm not sure how that would work though unless you're the registered owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

grahambo wrote: »
    Have you an experience in restoring bikes?
    "spent a few years in a ditch" sounds pretty bad to me.
    Pics?

Are you sure this is no scrap? (Sorry)

As far as I know, so long as you have the VIN and Reg you can request a new log book.
    I'm not sure how that would work though unless you're the registered owner.

It very well might be scrap lol the tank looks like its made of rust but the frame/wheels looked ok.

Its been kept in a dry shed for the last few years and the engine and electrics are in a heated shed.

I was thinking of doing a very budget resto/mod more to just get some experience

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    It very well might be scrap lol the tank looks like its made of rust but the frame/wheels looked ok.

Its been kept in a dry shed for the last few years and the engine and electrics are in a heated shed.

I was thinking of doing a very budget resto/mod more to just get some experience

Cool, that doesn't sound to bad.
    I wasn't trying to be smart with you btw :o

If you have the Reg and VIN (Should be on the frame somewhere) you should technically be able to get a log book.

Think this is the Doc:
    https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF134_en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Phone Shannon and ask them. Have the reg no. and chassis no. to hand.
    Maybe it would be less complicated for the current registered owner (your relo?) to apply.

Phone Shannon and ask them. Have the reg no. and chassis no. to hand.
    Maybe it would be less complicated for the current registered owner (your relo?) to apply.

Thanks I'll get the details from him and give them a call.

The issue is that he's not the registered owner, the bike was given to him years ago to fix for the neighbours son, the son had no interest in it so the neighbour said keep it/ sell it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    Thanks I'll get the details from him and give them a call.

The issue is that he's not the registered owner, the bike was given to him years ago to fix for the neighbours son, the son had no interest in it so the neighbour said keep it/ sell it

I doubt that explaining those details to Shannon will help the matter.
    You simply want to know if you, as the new owner, can apply for the reg. doc.

The registered keeper is not necessarily the owner. I assume your relo is legally the owner but I'm no expert.
    I know of reg docs being issued for vintage bikes and basket cases with supporting evidence from a recognised owners' club to establish age and model details.
    I'll be curious to know how you get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭D3V!L

OP, how can you be sure its not stolen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

I bought a cheap (€700) 125cc bike without a log book a couple of years ago. I bought it from outside the guys house so I was fairly sure it was legit. Import but had been registered here.

One letter to Shannon with photos of the VIN and they sent out the new log book in my name.

Could be that they thought nobody in the right mind would try fake ownership of such an old bike.

Thanks guys the bike is probably worth less than €100 so its definitely not worth stealing lol

@D3V!L I cant be sure as it comes from a neighbour of the relative. Is there any way to check if it was stolen?

Sounds like I should just apply for the log book :)

Advertisement