Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up spare router with WEP

Options
  • 31-10-2017 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭

I know WEP is deprecated but I want to set up a router to hack for college. I don't really want to change my current modem/router to WEP.

I have an old UPC modem/router but don't think I can connect an Ethernet cable to it and use it. Looks like it needs to be fed by the cable from the UPC box?

Could I buy this and set it up on my current network as a WEP router?

http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/TL-WR841N.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If you just want to practice hacking WEP, you don't need to connect it to anything by wire ? Just power it up and hack with wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    If you just want to practice hacking WEP, you don't need to connect it to anything by wire ? Just power it up and hack with wifi.

If I power on the old router, I should just see it on the network? How would I get into it to set up WEP? Would it's IP be 192.168.0.1? The main router on my home network would already have that address.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You can use inSSIDer to check what the UPC box currently uses, or it may show the encryption in the connect-to dialog. Are you sure it has no ethernet sockets?
    Hacking WEP is easiest with some traffic happening
    You could change the IP on your main router

Advertisement