Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any reliable way to increase cell phone reception?

Options
  • 31-10-2017 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm living in the suburbs of Dublin and mobile signal reception is a disaster here! Could you please advise any reliable way to increase cell phone reception? What's you opinion on signal repeaters?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Different operator. Preferably one that doesn't sell off access to it's network to other operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Oleir wrote: »
    What's you opinion on signal repeaters?

Illegal at the moment but change on the way - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057685415

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

What operator are you with?

Have you tried Sims from other operators? e.g. Vodafone, Eir, Three

Also have you tried switching to 3g or even 2g for phone services when at home? (I'm assuming you may have broadband for data)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As above, repeaters are under review but not there yet... currently you have Eir who offer WiFi Calling on new(er) handsets like the S7 and above which uses your WiFi to boost things, and Vodafone who have a Suresignal device that similarly plugs into your home broadband (although I gather it may now be end-of-life as VF are to launch WiFi Calling in 2018 as well)

3 though are currently the worst of the big names from a network perspective - partly because they're oversubscribed partly, because they made a mess of integrating the O2 network (which itself was apparently left to deteriorate before the sale), and partly because they share it with/resell it to virtual operators like Tesco, Virgin etc

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Oleir wrote: »
    I'm living in the suburbs of Dublin and mobile signal reception is a disaster here! Could you please advise any reliable way to increase cell phone reception? What's you opinion on signal repeaters?
    I have lived in countries where repeaters are not policed like here in Ireland.  They are typically unreliable, and not a guaranteed solution to poor coverage, particularly in urban areas.  In an urban situation, everyone tries to boost their signal with stronger repeaters, and they just increase the noise for everyone else.  
    WiFi calling is a much better solution - it allows you to build your own perfect coverage within your home.  I have it from Eir at the moment, and it works very well.  I don't actually need it in Dublin, as I already have good Eir mobile coverage, but it is very useful when travelling abroad in countries with high roaming charges or poor coverage.  As long as you use WiFi, you do not need to pay roaming charges.

• Advertisement
Advertisement