Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Break Between Shifts

Options
  • 31-10-2017 7:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭

I have been rostered to work 12:30 to 9:15pm on Wednesday. Then 7.30am to 4pm the next day. This leaves a 10hr 15min gap between shifts.

The law is as follows
    a) You are entitled to 11 consecutive hours rest in any period of 24 hours. In addition you should get 24 consecutive hours rest in any period of 7 days and this should normally follow on from one of the 11-hour rest periods already mentioned, or

(b) As an alternative your employer can give you two 24-hour rest periods in the week that follows one in which you did not get the entitlement described in (a) above.

My confusion is over Part B. As the week is from Sunday to Saturday, I have already had one 24 hour rest period (sunday) and today (Tuesday) is my second. I will be working full days from Wednesday to Saturday.

Does this affect my 11 hour rest period entitlement?

My hours for the week are as follows

Sun: off
    Monday: 10.30-7.15
    Tuesday: off
    Wednesday: 12.30-9.15
    Thursday: 7.30-4.15
    Friday: 8.45-5.30
    Saturday: 10.30-7.15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Can't really help you, but in my opinion, companies can and do whatever they like with their employees regarding these issues, no matter what the law states

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A manager approached me today about it before I said anything and told me to come in later. Stuff like that is very much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 33,037 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Can't really help you, but in my opinion, companies can and do whatever they like with their employees regarding these issues, no matter what the law states

Not true

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I worked somewhere where Nera as they were at the time, did an audit of all rotas for the last year. It would be picked up then. I'm not sure but I presume the audit stemmed from some one making a complaint. We passed the audit anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I was a supervisor in a large MN for many years before moving on.

Was in a performance review session selling pay rise for one of my employees, guy had a stellar year, I had been managing him for three years.

The department manager shot him down for a promotion and halved his pay rise. “We rang that guy to come in off shift when we were stuck and he wouldn’t play ball” is what I was told.

Now, the incident in question was three years earlier. The guy had worked four 12.5 hour nights, leaving the factory at 7:20am. He was rang at home at 11:50 to come back in. He couldn’t as his wife was at work and he had two small kids at home.

This guys cards were marked because one petty senior manager didn’t get his way.

Some companies will abuse the breaks employees get between shifts and often as above the fallout is hidden way back from where it can be seen.

No surprise when redundancies came round the same employee was selected.

I elected myself for redundancy in the same round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Works the other way around too. We'd to work late one Friday evening, and they were asking about working Saturday too. I said no bother, I'll be in at 7am. You can't come in until 9am, I was told, because you've to be given 12 hours off.

I said actually, just forget it then, I've plans made, and if I've to work until the late afternoon, I'll be under too much pressure.

They came back to me again and said just come in at 7 then so :D

Advertisement