Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hawthorn hedging on Stone Walls

Options
  • 30-10-2017 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭

I have some old stone walls which are full of grass and ferns. Would it be feasible to plant hawthorn hedging directly on the stone walls ?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Who2

If there's any bit of clay they'll grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Who2 wrote: »
    If there's any bit of clay they'll grow.
    tnks

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kk.man

80sDiesel wrote: »
    I have some old stone walls which are full of grass and ferns. Would it be feasible to plant hawthorn hedging directly on the stone walls ?
    I would think their roots would in time damage your walls thus render them not stockproof. They will cost you to rebuild.
    I don't have much experience with stone walls except flagstone types around old barnyard and I do everything to keep ivy and trees from growing at or on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭orchard farm

This makes no sence??why would you plant ovrr a stone wall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Shelter.... lots of stone wall over here are too low against a good wind, although most landowners plant quicks in front not on.

TT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

I did this and now have a lovely hawthorn hedge that is stock-proof and provides a bird habitat. The bushes haven't damaged the wall and have grown around it, making it even more secure. I would recommend hawthorn and avoid blackthorn which will creep into your field/garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭MfMan

I would be reluctant to plant hawthorn fast by a stone wall as it would tend to knock stones over with the swaying of the wind. At least, plant it the sheltered side away from the prevailing wind if possible, and maybe leave a couple of feet out from the wall.

Ivy on a stone wall is double-edged; it's great to knit the stones and hold the wall in place, but cattle have a habit of eating and pulling at it, thus knocking the top stones!

Advertisement