Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Devil may cry 2 skip or hit

Options
  • 30-10-2017 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all I'm personally starting to play the devil may cry series and I recently got into a debate with some friends of mine about this so I'm here to ask you all what you think
    As many of you will know DMC2 is infamous for being one of the worst sequels ever conceived and debatable as the worst dmc game, but I'm here to ask is it as bad as everyone says taking into account every game in the series (including the reboot) and taking into account hindsight about the game

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not sure what you are talking about? There was never a DMC2. NEVER!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I thought it was better than 3 tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I thought it was better than 3 tbh

BURN THE HERETIC!!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

You might as well play through it, it's very short. It's not unplayably bad, it's just a bland boring easy mediocre game that really let people down compared to the first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Hi all I'm personally starting to play the devil may cry series and I recently got into a debate with some friends of mine about this so I'm here to ask you all what you think
    As many of you will know DMC2 is infamous for being one of the worst sequels ever conceived and debatable as the worst dmc game, but I'm here to ask is it as bad as everyone says taking into account every game in the series (including the reboot) and taking into account hindsight about the game

It's not the worst game ever made, it just happens to be sandwiched in between 2 beloved games. It's up to you. The game isn't that long though it does have 2 campaigns involving Dante & Lucia, each with its own disc on the PS2 though I would imagine that you are talking about the HD remaster. It's completely lifeless when compared with other entries in the series. I don't regret playing it but that was before Steam when I was living in Donegal and surviving only off disc-based games. Nowadays, there are a plethora of vastly superior titles with which to occupy yourself.

Alternatively, you could just watch a let's play or just the cutscenes on Youtube.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 NoireUltima

It's not the worst game ever made, it just happens to be sandwiched in between 2 beloved games. It's up to you. The game isn't that long though it does have 2 campaigns involving Dante & Lucia, each with its own disc on the PS2 though I would imagine that you are talking about the HD remaster. It's completely lifeless when compared with other entries in the series. I don't regret playing it but that was before Steam when I was living in Donegal and surviving only off disc-based games. Nowadays, there are a plethora of vastly superior titles with which to occupy yourself.

Alternatively, you could just watch a let's play or just the cutscenes on Youtube.

I was playing DMC 3 on steam actually. But if that's the case I might just buy the ps3 rerelease to play 1 and 2.
    It'd be an excuse to get a more stable version of 3 and the hd version of dmc 1 instead of playing on my sister's og ps2

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you are talking about? There was never a DMC2. NEVER!

I'm talking about the origi... Oh I see now yeah there never was a dmc 2 never just 1 and 3

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I was playing DMC 3 on steam actually. But if that's the case I might just buy the ps3 rerelease to play 1 and 2.
    It'd be an excuse to get a more stable version of 3 and the hd version of dmc 1 instead of playing on my sister's og ps2

How? DMC3 on PC is probably the worst port ever made.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

How? DMC3 on PC is probably the worst port ever made.

Mods my dear boy... Mods, the dmc3 se pc starter pack you can find on pcgaming wiki helps with a lot of the crap you have to fight but it's still not by any means perfect, just better

Mods my dear boy... Mods, the dmc3 se pc starter pack you can find on pcgaming wiki helps with a lot of the crap you have to fight but it's still not by any means perfect, just better

<Shudders>

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

<Shudders>

Yeah I'm just after fighting the megapede twice to get all the blue orb frags and you're on the lower floor while he throws out electric balls you get weird texture screen clipping, it doesn't hinder you but it looks weird

Yeah I'm just after fighting the megapede twice to get all the blue orb frags and you're on the lower floor while he throws out electric balls you get weird texture screen clipping, it doesn't hinder you but it looks weird

I've just seen a bit on Youtube. Looks like a good fix. Better even given that Dante can now switch styles on the fly though the game wasn't balanced for that.

H. H. Asquith

I've just seen a bit on Youtube. Looks like a good fix. Better even given that Dante can now switch styles on the fly though the game wasn't balanced for that.

Yeah the fixes are great. Sadly I don't have that part of style switcher installed though so I'm just sticking with a fixed version of the normal game, nevertheless it's a great way to play the game

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's genuinely one of the most disappointing games I've ever played. It got pretty much everything wrong. Probably the only good thing to come out of it was Dante shooting in two different directions, and being able to play as Trish (but only after completing the game).

I'd recommend skipping it. There's nothing even story wise to make it worth playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

It's entirely skippable but if you're a DMC fan you'll probably get around to it eventually so if you have any desire to play them in release order then it's not like you'll catch a virus from playing it. Although it's bad I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be. Probably best to skip it if you're short on time or patience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Don't want to hijack thread but just want to ask one thing. For someone interested in trying this series am I better off just getting the PS4 remaster or should I pick up any of the PS3 games? I know there's a HD collection and also a remaster or two on the PS3 but am not certain if both remasters (PS3 and PS4) are essentially the same game.

Don't want to hijack thread but just want to ask one thing. For someone interested in trying this series am I better off just getting the PS4 remaster or should I pick up any of the PS3 games? I know there's a HD collection and also a remaster or two on the PS3 but am not certain if both remasters (PS3 and PS4) are essentially the same game.

The HD Collection is DMC1, 2 & 3. The PS4 remaster game is DMC4: Special Edition (DMC4 remastered + new additional content). Then there's DmC which was a reboot of the series, it was released on PS3 and then remastered on PS4, but it counts as totally separate to the other games.

DMC3 is arguably the best of the series, and DMC1 is a great game too (controls are a bit clunkier though). I think if you can, pick up the HD collection and play 1 & 3, then DMC4:SE. Don't bother with 2, and if you still like the series and gameplay, give DmC a whirl but know that it's a fairly different tone & style of game with familiar but somewhat different gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

DMC4 is kind of boring.

Pick up the HD collection and play 1 and 3. Then check out the reboot (DmC: Devil May Cry) which ain't bad at all and is probably the third best in the series tbh. Make sure to get the PS4 version of the reboot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

DMC4 is kind of boring.

Pick up the HD collection and play 1 and 3. Then check out the reboot (DmC: Devil May Cry) which ain't bad at all and is probably the third best in the series tbh. Make sure to get the PS4 version of the reboot.

Ah so it's a reboot rather than a remake or remaster! Thanks. I'll check it out this week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

DMC4 is kind of boring.

DMC4:SE improves the game quite a lot.

• Advertisement

DMC4 is kind of boring.

I agree and disagree at the same time. They certainly f*cked up with some of the level design, particularly having to backtrack the whole length of the game, and the story and some of the new characters were dull as f*ck. But the enemy design was very varied, new abilities and powers were a lot of fun and again, very varied, and once you switch to Dante the real DMC humour gets to kick in and is a lot of fun.

Plus the Special Edition allows you to play as Vergil, Lady and Trish. Well worth playing the game just to play as Vergil, who is a lot of fun to play as.

I think if you enjoy DMC3, DMC4 is well worth playing even if it is a step down in many respects. DmC I'm still hugely conflicted on. I can see why people like it, but it just annoyed me more than anything even though most of the gameplay is pretty solid (especially as they seem to have fixed some of the issues like camera and locking on I had as part of the PS4 remaster, though I haven't played that version).

Thanks for the advice all, I just want to add something to the dmc reboot thing. Play the pc version it's not better at its core but the Mexican Dante(Donte) mod makes everything so much better, some people I know put it above dmc1 for the humour value alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Thanks for the advice all, I just want to add something to the dmc reboot thing. Play the pc version it's not better at its core but the Mexican Dante(Donte) mod makes everything so much better, some people I know put it above dmc1 for the humour value alone.

The 'definitive' edition on consoles has so many great improvements tho. You can get rid of the terrible 'colour-coded enemies repel your attacks' rubbish as well as speed the gameplay up to a level a bit more close to the old series. You have also a mode which makes it so you can only damage enemies with a high style ranking which is great fun.

DMC4:SE only really gives you more characters, it doesn't fix how dated the game was in its design and how unfinished it all feels. Vergil is cool but the most OP character the series has ever had. And you still got to traipse through the boring castle and forest levels same as the main game.

The 'definitive' edition on consoles has so many great improvements tho. You can get rid of the terrible 'colour-coded enemies repel your attacks' rubbish as well as speed the gameplay up to a level a bit more close to the old series. You have also a mode which makes it so you can only damage enemies with a high style ranking which is great fun.

DMC4:SE only really gives you more characters, it doesn't fix how dated the game was in its design and how unfinished it all feels. Vergil is cool but the most OP character the series has ever had. And you still got to traipse through the boring castle and forest levels same as the main game.

I see your point... But Donte with a mustache, also I need to confirm this but there might be a mod to fix that hopefully. Real shame that elemental combat idea went to waste though, it was a solid idea on paper with god awful execution

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Yea, if you're going to give DmC a shot, definitely get the Definitive Edition on the consoles. I finally bit the bullet with the PC version recently and while the performance improvements are welcome after the initial console release, the changes made in the Definitive edition read like they'd go some way to addressing some of the gameplay specific flaws it has.

Penn wrote: »
    I agree and disagree at the same time. They certainly f*cked up with some of the level design, particularly having to backtrack the whole length of the game, and the story and some of the new characters were dull as f*ck. But the enemy design was very varied, new abilities and powers were a lot of fun and again, very varied, and once you switch to Dante the real DMC humour gets to kick in and is a lot of fun.

Plus the Special Edition allows you to play as Vergil, Lady and Trish. Well worth playing the game just to play as Vergil, who is a lot of fun to play as.

I think if you enjoy DMC3, DMC4 is well worth playing even if it is a step down in many respects. DmC I'm still hugely conflicted on. I can see why people like it, but it just annoyed me more than anything even though most of the gameplay is pretty solid (especially as they seem to have fixed some of the issues like camera and locking on I had as part of the PS4 remaster, though I haven't played that version).

I didn't really mind Nero. It was nice to have a bit of a change from Dante while keeping the latter involved in the story though the backtracking was incredibly disappointing and frustrating.

H. H. Asquith

I don't see why people have a problem with Nero honestly, from what I've seen of 4 he's a little whiny occasionally but no worse than Dante when he was denying his demonhood at the start of 3, swearing is a little edgy but Donte was worse

I'd no real issue with Nero either as a character, it was mostly Kyrie who, after Trish, Lady and even... *shudders* Lucia..., she was so out of style for the rest of series and did nothing but switch between smile and whimper. Sanctus and Agnus were pretty bland too. If anything I would have liked to have seen far more of Credo throughout the game.

Though if I did have a complaint about Nero, it was the lack of weapon variety with only being able to upgrade his gun, sword and arm as opposed to change them (well... can't really change his arm...). Though Dante's portion of the game mostly cured that itch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Yes. More of this please...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

DMC 1, 3 and then the one where he's dressed up as a girl. Bayonetta.

Advertisement