Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long shot but can anyone help please

Options
  • 29-10-2017 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭

My lovely mam died 22 years ago and she always carried this photo in her purse/bag from her brother who she always presumed had died, from what I can remember in Hong Kong, during the 2nd world war. We found out about 3 years ago that he only died about 2 years after her in Peterborough in the Uk. She was very close to him growing up and missed him dreadfully. I would love to find out where this photo was taken if anyone has any ideas of where it was taken or any ideas of how to find out. It says on the back "photo of the camp"
    wxJwrA.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

There was an internment camp in Stanley, Hong Kong, during WW2, where the Japanese held English and American civilian prisoners - maybe it's that? Difficult to say for sure, but the mountains in the view west on Google Streetview from Stanley could be the ones in the picture. I haven't been able to find any matching pictures of the internment camp though. The gardens in the picture look very well maintained, too, they don't look like a prison camp.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It might be worth posting to Rootschat where they love a challenge like this.
    http://www.rootschat.com/forum/handwriting-deciphering-recognition/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

p15574 wrote: »
    The gardens in the picture look very well maintained, too, they don't look like a prison camp.

Perhaps a postcard of the gardens before becoming an internment camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cat_r

Using this photo for a Google image search didn't help get any clues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Thanks I'll have a look. Think it was an army camp of some kind. The gardens are very well cared for alright 😊
    p15574 wrote: »
    There was an internment camp in Stanley, Hong Kong, during WW2, where the Japanese held English and American civilian prisoners - maybe it's that? Difficult to say for sure, but the mountains in the view west on Google Streetview from Stanley could be the ones in the picture. I haven't been able to find any matching pictures of the internment camp though. The gardens in the picture look very well maintained, too, they don't look like a prison camp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

spurious wrote: »
    It might be worth posting to Rootschat where they love a challenge like this.
    http://www.rootschat.com/forum/handwriting-deciphering-recognition/
    Ill try this. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭PMBC

gonker wrote: »
    Ill try this. Thank you

I'm assuming he was in the Army. If so there are some great WW2 sites for those killed and survived. Id say there are sites for POW or Internment Camps. Plus if he was a soldier you will be able to get his service details from British Authorities

Advertisement