Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best low cost broker for indexing

Options
  • 28-10-2017 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hello,
    My father has ran into an inheritance and he has never invested before outside of his pension from work.
    I live in the US now so don't know much about brokers in Ireland but is there an equivalent to Vangaurd where you can by low cost index funds?
    I saw degiro, they look pretty good, but there is no list of ETFs or Mutual Funds they offer on their site - do they have proprietary funds that tracks an underlying index like the S&P or the FTSE? or is currency risk too much that it doesn't make too much sense to offer an index fund with the underlying asset being in a foreign currency?
    If there is no proprietary index funds from degiro (or other brokers in Ireland) is there an ADR equivalent (I don't know what that would be in Ireland but basically a big bank would buy up a load of stock, or load of shares from a mutual fund in a foreign currency and then convert to the local currency for people to invest in and get exposure to foreign stocks and funds)
    Maybe I'm over complicating things:
    Is there a low cost broker where I can get my dad to invest in some low cost funds or etfs that will give him a good amount of diversification/market exposure. 
    I don't want him going to Irish life and getting sold an annuity or one of these MAPS things (they just look like outrageously expense mutual funds, with a few more bells and whistles)
    Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Tim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

Degiro is what you are looking for. ETFs are there, you need to search by the ticker name. They also have list of commission free ones here https://www.google.ie/url?q=https://www.degiro.ie/fees/commission-free-etfs.html&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwi0x4Gb1ZXXAhVGuhoKHYdOBOgQFjAAegQIFxAA&usg=AOvVaw2nEk8466N0bnJxX2nmoohs

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Tim131

Thanks for that, it's super helpful.
    So how do Degiro make their money then? If its free trades, and all you do is pay the expense ratio which presumably goes to Schwab or Vanguard or whoever the ETF is provided by?

Whats in it for Degiro, is there a lot of hidden fees?

Because otherwise it's looking pretty good, they've got a load of Schwab ETFs which can pretty comfortably create a "lazy portfolio"

Thanks for the response :)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

I guess not everyone will buy the commission free funds. People may but other funds or shares that generate commission. They also charge for dividends, fx etc. Check their fees section to see how they charge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Tim131 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, it's super helpful.
    So how do Degiro make their money then? If its free trades, and all you do is pay the expense ratio which presumably goes to Schwab or Vanguard or whoever the ETF is provided by?

Whats in it for Degiro, is there a lot of hidden fees?

Because otherwise it's looking pretty good, they've got a load of Schwab ETFs which can pretty comfortably create a "lazy portfolio"

Thanks for the response :)

They charge €2.50 per exchange you trade on once a year. So I pay €5 a year because I trade on two exchanges. If you go over your one trade a month for a commission free trade then you are charged a flat €2 plus a few cent per share I believe.

Advertisement