Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox - Network hardware issues?

Options
  • 28-10-2017 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

Hey Boards

Have a launch day Xbox One. Was playing it one day earlier this year and I couldn't connect to the internet (wired/wireless). I could still play my games offline though, built up a good library.

I called support and they advised a few things, didn't work. They then said that I'd need to reset the console but now, I can't get past the activation stage because there is an issue with the networking hardware.

I'm completely locked out of my content unless I pay nearly €150 to get the console repaired and it's not worth that compared to buying a new machine.

What can/should I do? Just sell it for parts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,271 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Hey Boards

Have a launch day Xbox One. Was playing it one day earlier this year and I couldn't connect to the internet (wired/wireless). I could still play my games offline though, built up a good library.

I called support and they advised a few things, didn't work. They then said that I'd need to reset the console but now, I can't get past the activation stage because there is an issue with the networking hardware.

I'm completely locked out of my content unless I pay nearly €150 to get the console repaired and it's not worth that compared to buying a new machine.

What can/should I do? Just sell it for parts?

What I would do is call back xbox support and make a complaint that you were advised to reset the console when the Wifi board may have gone and that because you followed their advice, you went from having a functional xbox one without internet access, to a brick that won't boot up.

It might prompt them to do a free repair or replacement, ask to listen back to the call you made to prove that you called them and followed their advice. It might embarrass them into fixing it for you.

TBH, retailers should be replacing hardware that fails during normal use within the expected lifetime of the product under the Sale of goods and services act. The console is less than 4 years old, but you'd be better off going down the complaint route. Don't shout at them or anything, if you're nice, they'll want to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Akrasia wrote: »
    What I would do is call back xbox support and make a complaint that you were advised to reset the console when the Wifi board may have gone and that because you followed their advice, you went from having a functional xbox one without internet access, to a brick that won't boot up.

It might prompt them to do a free repair or replacement, ask to listen back to the call you made to prove that you called them and followed their advice. It might embarrass them into fixing it for you.

TBH, retailers should be replacing hardware that fails during normal use within the expected lifetime of the product under the Sale of goods and services act. The console is less than 4 years old, but you'd be better off going down the complaint route. Don't shout at them or anything, if you're nice, they'll want to help you.

Just tried via livechat and no joy unfortunately!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Just tried via livechat and no joy unfortunately!

Next try the shop that you bought it from, no harm trying there, but at this stage I think it'll be a stretch.

Finally, you can replace the part yourself. Buy a WiFi board here, and then follow this guide here. From the comments down the bottom, it seems to fix your problem.

I just did a quick look around for that board, you might find a cheaper one out there. They seem to all be second hand, i.e. ripped from another Xbox One.

That guide might seem a little daunting, but it's really doable. Just get the tools it requires, mainly the Torx screwdriver.

Advertisement