Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old eircom router as a vpn network

Options
  • 28-10-2017 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Is it possible to set up one of the old eircom netopia routers as a vpn? I'll connect it to my normal main router but just wondering would it be possible to configure the old router as a vpn? Does it have the correct options to set it up?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

No.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

No that won't work. It's not a VPN server

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Any recomendations on one then? I woukd also need a subscription to a vpn client? Any recomendstions there too?
    Thank lads im new to vpns as you can probably see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

What are you trying to achieve?

Im wanting to have two wireless networks one ssid the nirmal and the other on a vpn. Also twi wired tge same all the vpn from one router.
    Is tbis possible?

• Advertisement

Im wanting to have two wireless networks one ssid the nirmal and the other on a vpn. Also twi wired tge same all the vpn from one router.
    Is tbis possible?

You need something that can VLAN tag multiple SSID...
    And maybe untag the same VLAN on the port for the wire.

Where is the other VPN endpoint for the site to site, is it IPSec, openvpn, etc???

I have something similar at home, I have a site to site IPSec to a Linux VPS in the the UK which I broadcast on another SSID via a tagged VLAN.

setup
    Virgin bridged > Mikrotik Router > Unifi Wireless Access Point.

Is tbis possible?

So you want the netopia box to connect to a vpn?

So you want the netopia box to connect to a vpn?

I think so so that the netopia supplies all the vpn either wireless or wired. Is that possible? If not with a netopia then what device.
    Two home networks, one of which is a vpn is what i am after.

I think so so that the netopia supplies all the vpn either wireless or wired. Is that possible? If not with a netopia then what device.
    Two home networks, one of which is a vpn is what i am after.

Not possible with that gear... You need some enterprise grade gear.. Cisco / fortinet gear is capable of what you want.... You'd need to utilise vlans and be able to separate the traffic going out over your WAN link from each vlan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You could do it with a PFsense box anyways. Cheap but not for amateurs.

Not possible with that gear... You need some enterprise grade gear.. Cisco / fortinet gear is capable of what you want.... You'd need to utilise vlans and be able to separate the traffic going out over your WAN link from each vlan.

ED E wrote:
    You could do it with a PFsense box anyways. Cheap but not for amateurs.

The more i read the more i think i wont be attempting it

Advertisement