Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A licence query

Options
  • 28-10-2017 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

I am 27 and recently took out an A provisional via direct entry. The licence I received is coded 993 and has a start date in 2008. I cannot have held this category in 2008 but the NDLS state I did hold it albeit a different category back then - it was more akin to A2 now. Accordingly they have said they are not amending it which I feel is quite penal.

Has anybody any experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

you could ride an a2 bike now without doing an IBT

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

you could ride an a2 bike now without doing an IBT

Really? I understood I need to do IBT regardless and hence I went for an A licence because I didn't see the point of putting in the same work to obtain a lesser category.

I do still hold an A2 so that may be useful, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Paddy001 wrote: »
    Really? I understood I need to do IBT regardless and hence I went for an A licence because I didn't see the point of putting in the same work to obtain a lesser category.

I do still hold an A2 so that may be useful, thanks.

yeah it's a bit of a loop hole an old A permit is like a new A2 with ibt. Not sure if you'd need to do an IBT at all before doing your test someone else would have to confirm all of this as I am on the new system but I know for sure there is something to do with an old provisional not needing IBT

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

You're half way between the old and new systems... engage your thinking squint.

You have the 'unrestricted cat A' learner category BUT this category is not valid - I presume you have also been issued the A2, A1 and AM on the same permit. The latter three categories are valid in your case and you may ride using them today without IBT as you are exempt having held the old 'restricted cat A' from 2008 on (and never let it lapse for 5 or more years).

To be able to ride on the 'unrestricted cat A' learner category, you have to validate it by taking IBT for 'unrestricted cat A'. The fact that you would have been too young to hold the modern 'unrestricted cat A' learner category is irrelevant as it is kind of a different category nowadays, although they grant it retrospectively as a valid 'cat A' even though it was restricted.

As above, your old 'A restricted' learner category translates to the A2 learner - medium power bikes - and you can take and pass a driving test for cat A2. However you will never be able to legally ride a cat A bike or take a cat A test without taking cat A IBT.

Advertisement