Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New in Cork

Options
  • 28-10-2017 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

So, I moved down from Tipp a couple of months ago and so far I love it! My only issue is that I don't know many people down here and I'd like to get out doing things at the weekend! My new job is great and the people are lovely but a lot of them are much older than me so it's hard to make friends :/

I'm into running, hiking and music (I play the drums). I was wondering if anyone can steer me in the direction of a good club or meetup group?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

So, I moved down from Tipp a couple of months ago and so far I love it! My only issue is that I don't know many people down here and I'd like to get out doing things at the weekend! My new job is great and the people are lovely but a lot of them are much older than me so it's hard to make friends :/

I'm into running, hiking and music (I play the drums). I was wondering if anyone can steer me in the direction of a good club or meetup group?

Thanks.

meetup.com is what you need i'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Big Eejit

Thanks.

Hiking as in hillwalking clubs? If so, there are active clubs operating out of Bishopstown and Blarney, I believe. So, you could start there.

Drums? Lambegs or finest jazz? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Apt8

If you play drums, join "Cork Musicians Network" on Facebook, it seems to be the busiest place for musician classifieds these days in Cork. Just make a post about your influences and experience and you might find yourself a group to jam with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

limnam wrote: »
    meetup.com is what you need i'd say

Probably. There's local groups for just about everything, so should be no problem to find an active hiking or running group. Some of the groups also have meetups at weekends to have a meal, see a show or just drink and chat/dance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Definitely have to give another thumbs up for www.meetup.com

Lots of groups on there (I run one of them but won't say which one as I don't want to come across as biased!)

Pretty much a group that caters for all walks of life, drinkers, non drinkers, cinema, meals, weekends away. Bound to find something for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭goochy

unless you are middle aged CORK HILLWALKERS is the only club to bother with.
    what about joining a macra club ? you don't have to be a farmer - lods of them in cork - I am From Dublin - moved to cork - joined one - best thing I ever did.
    volunteering ? it doesn't matter if you are not making freiends with people your own age. you are interacting with people and becoming a part of the community

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 23 confusedlady01

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys! I'm going to try meetup.com and the hillwalking club, I'll let you know how it goes!

running clubs also quite sociable ? not into it myself so cant speak of any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

There's a facebook group called Girlcrew cork, think there's an app as well. They do regular meet ups, or people will post looking to see if anyone's going to a specific gig and stuff. It's very active, be worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys! I'm going to try meetup.com and the hillwalking club, I'll let you know how it goes!

Cork Hillwalkers is a quite sociable one and not competitive like one of the groups in Bishopstown.

They usually have an optional meal in a restartaint after each walk.
    I got lazy so havent been up the hills with them in about a year, but would really recommend them.

• Advertisement

Japan is a long way from cork so understandable - lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

goochy wrote: »
    Japan is a long way from cork so understandable - lol

Besides the fact I am now a dog. lol

Advertisement