Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Development Support Engineer

Options
  • 28-10-2017 5:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, 

I was hoping for a bit of advice. I graduated from the UCD MSc in December and I have been working for the last 6 months as a C# .NET developer on a number of projects. Im looking now for junior work in this field. 

I got a call about the possibility of a development support engineer position with a large multinational. I dont know of anyone in a role like this at the moment. Would it be madness to take this job or to try and stick it out for a junior C# position? Is development support engineer a dead end role? Im really looking for somewhere with the possibility of career progression rather than a high starting salary. 

Many Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

It's a tricky one. I was desperate to change dev stack a number of years back, and after a few years of getting nowhere I took a development support role for a multinational in Eastpoint. To this day I couldn't tell you what the role was about - as soon as I started they had a "need" in QA and pushed me in there - I lasted 9 weeks.

If you've no job at all - it might be worth looking at - it does seem a bit of a mis-direction if you've your heart set on development, however I have seen a number of junior dev positions advertised recently from the likes of Verison, Channelsight, Version 1, Vantage Point - to name but a few - have you looked at any of these yet?

D.

Advertisement