Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bowens Esprit Gemini 750+

Options
  • 27-10-2017 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi Folks

I'm thinking of upgrading a little for home studio , & Ive been looking at a Bowens Esprit Gemini 750+ does anyone have any ideas on these

There doesn't seem to be a lot of info on net about them

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

Jaguar240 wrote: »
    Hi Folks

I'm thinking of upgrading a little for home studio , & Ive been looking at a Bowens Esprit Gemini 750+ does anyone have any ideas on these

There doesn't seem to be a lot of info on net about them

Regards

Unfortunately, Bowens went out of business earlier this year which means it will be difficult to source any of their products. There might be a few places with some stock available but I suspect that when Bowens ceased a lot of photographers who were already heavily invested in the system probably stocked up while still possible.
    They're a great system but we're expensive and under stiff competition from an ever increasing number of competitively priced brands such as Elinchrom, Lastolite among many others.
    If you manage to get some, you will also have the problem of servicing. I don't know of anyone but know that at some stage I will need to look in to this myself. I'm sure some of the professional camera shops would be helpful there.
    I have a Bowens set up myself and a range of reflectors, modifiers and light boxes and it's always very reliable. I've also used Elinchrom and while it is very good, it's not as powerful and doesn't have as extensive a range of accessories. The price of the Elinchrom is, however, very competitive and also very portable, coming in a kit of two compact cases, making it easy to transport. It also comes with a small wireless trigger unit, something which costs a few hundred quid for the Bowens.
    I hope this was all helpful for you,

Good luck with your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Jaguar240

Thanks for that I'll have a look there, sorry for bothering but I don't know much about Bowens Flash as I have a Portoflash set at the moment but we have a few grandchildren now & the Portoflash takes some time to recharge. That's why I'm looking at upgrading but I not going to go for anything too expensive.
    I've dropped across another set Bowens international Esprit 500 Studio Lighting Kit for sale also, how do both of these sets compare other than maybe one is 500watt & the other is 750watt. Am I correct in saying that.

Any advice would be appreciated. Just crossed my mind , should I go for some other brand?

Regards

Basically, yes, one is 500W and the other 750W, but there's a bit more to it than just having the extra power (roughly a stop). The 750 set at a lower power will charge a little bit faster than the 500 at full, for some this can be important when working in a busy studio the extra power is useful when working with soft boxes and diffusers, which can on occasions cut down the output considerably.
    I use the 500 and with a 48" soft box, at full power, 100 ISO, and ata distance of 1.5 metres, I'm using an aperture of f22. That's plenty powerful for anything I ever need to do. I have done large groups (40 plus) with four lights and softboxes and my aperture would be f8/11.
    When sourcing your lights secondhand you might find a variance in prices depending on age, the more recent models would have digital adjustments but otherwise the difference is largely cosmetic (I could be corrected on this) and the charge time a little faster. The 750 has a built in cooler to stop it overheating.
    I have my set several years and the controls are done by dials without the digital readout. That's no big deal not having that, you just read the dials.
    the 500 has a guide number of 85 and the 750 a guide number of 105. I have never had a problem with lack of power in the 500 model and would reckon for what you're talking about it would be perfectly fine.

I have also used a set of Elinchrom lights. They work fine and have plenty of power but lack the same range of accessories and modifiers as the Bowens. Having said that, this is improving. The set comes complete with stands, cables, two reflectors, two softboxes and a wireless trigger unit and is excellent value. The supplied softboxes are smaller than the Bowens but it possible that other larger ones are supplied by third party manufacturers, I haven't checked. They also wouldn't be as strong but are still quite capable.

• Advertisement

Thanks to "thedarkroom" for your advice. I don't do much studio work but with grandchildren 3 in the last 18months I feel that I should take some pics of them.
    I have a portoflash 336VM set, I used it a few times but recycle time is slow * Guide No is only 34(I think) so that's why I looking at getting something better. I'm surprised that there is so little info online, so thanks for your help.

Both the 500 & the 750 are for sale on ebay with the finishing first, so I have a problem should I bid on the 500 and possibly win it or should hold off for the 750, its make my mind up time. I might not get either.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

I think the 750 would be overkill for the use you have mentioned, I would look at 400 or 500w lights.
    Elinchrom's D-Lite 4 kit is pretty reasonable (Under €795) and has everything you ar likely to need including a Wireless trigger that allows yo to control the power of the flash heads from the trigger.
    They also have a 2 year warranty and good back up service.
    See: https://www.google.ie/search?ei=9jf3WbWLG8evaeuWg7AK&q=d-lite+4+ireland&oq=d-lite+4+ireland&gs_l=psy-ab.3...12443.13532.0.13724.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.gkFVn0Yig1U

I think the 750 would be overkill for the use you have mentioned, I would look at 400 or 500w lights.
    Elinchrom's D-Lite 4 kit is pretty reasonable (Under €795) and has everything you ar likely to need including a Wireless trigger that allows yo to control the power of the flash heads from the trigger.
    They also have a 2 year warranty and good back up service.
    See: https://www.google.ie/search?ei=9jf3WbWLG8evaeuWg7AK&q=d-lite+4+ireland&oq=d-lite+4+ireland&gs_l=psy-ab.3...12443.13532.0.13724.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.gkFVn0Yig1U

While I don't know what the final price will be for the Bowens lights on eBay, I think that this advice is correct for your needs. You don't mention your budget or if you intend doing other work as well as photographing your grandchildren.
    If your use is going to be this and little else then the Elinchrom is going to do that fine for you and will be excellent value.

Thanks to "thedarkroom" & "ValueinIreland"for your advise.

I don't intend to any other work only family so I have lots to think about

Thanks folks for the advise. I got 3 heads + stands a few umbrella's & one softbox carry case incl for £450 in UK & got fedex to collect them.

I used them over the Christmas recharge was great compared to what I had. I'm happy at the moment anyway.

Thanks for advise & Happy New Year to everybody

• Advertisement

Jaguar240 wrote: »
    Thanks folks for the advise. I got 3 heads + stands a few umbrella's & one softbox carry case incl for £450 in UK & got fedex to collect them.

I used them over the Christmas recharge was great compared to what I had. I'm happy at the moment anyway.

Thanks for advise & Happy New Year to everybody

Was that for the Elinchrom? Second-hand I presume?
    Sounds like excellent value for what you got.

Sorry forgot to say it was a Bowens set.

Hi Folks,

Ive been using the Bowens Heads since & happy with them. Jusy wondering about spare flash tubes, from what I can find it seems like the same flash tube is used in several of the heads regardless of power/wattage or maybe I'm reading it wrong

Advertisement