Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay Scale

Options
  • 27-10-2017 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

Hi, i am currently looking in to this with payroll but would like to know if anyone has experience of a similar situation:

Subbed in primary school in 2009
    Subbed in vec school in 2010

Completed arts degree in 2011
    Completed Dip in 2013

Currently on new payscale

Do you think I'll have any luck trying to get moved o n to the pre2011 pay scale? I know it is a long shot but like i say just looking for other people's experiences.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭petejmk

Hi, i am currently looking in to this with payroll but would like to know if anyone has experience of a similar situation:

Completed Dip in 2013

Do you think I'll have any luck trying to get moved o n to the pre2011 pay scale? I know it is a long shot but like i say just looking for other people's experiences.

Have you got an old pay slip from that period? Depends on who paid you. Fairly likely that you were paid by the dept for the primary school work. You would have been given a dept payroll number. If so, there's a pretty good chance you should be on the old scale. I did the same thing. Didnt qualify until 2011. On old scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Completed Dip in 2013

For that time period, the only requirement to work in a VEC school was a degree and that deemed you fully qualified. Did you have a degree at that time ... no, therefore you weren't qualified so wouldn't be placed on old scale. I don't know about primary but I assume it's the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

Thank you both for your replies. That's what I was thinking myself mtoutlemonde the fact that I didn't have degree completed is probably why I was never put on old pay scale but because I hadn't formally checked this before I thought it was worth asking the question.

petejmk wrote: »
    Have you got an old pay slip from that period? Depends on who paid you. Fairly likely that you were paid by the dept for the primary school work. You would have been given a dept payroll number. If so, there's a pretty good chance you should be on the old scale. I did the same thing. Didnt qualify until 2011. On old scale.

No i don't have a primary payslip but i have spoken to primary payroll who confirmed i was dept paid and are sending a statement of service to me

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Thank you both for your replies. That's what I was thinking myself mtoutlemonde the fact that I didn't have degree completed is probably why I was never put on old pay scale but because I hadn't formally checked this before I thought it was worth asking the question.

Ah here.

There's no probably about it. This is just taking the piss. You didn't have a degree, and clearly didn't have a dip at the time either. Why in the name of god would you expect to be put on the old pay scale, which would only happen if you were a deemed to be a qualified teacher at the time of subbing - which you clearly weren't?

• Advertisement

Ah here.

There's no probably about it. This is just taking the piss. You didn't have a degree, and clearly didn't have a dip at the time either. Why in the name of god would you expect to be put on the old pay scale, which would only happen if you were a deemed to be a qualified teacher at the time of subbing - which you clearly weren't?

Ok to be fair poor choice of words by me. Yes it is now clear to me that this is why i was not put on older payscale. I just wanted to enquire because i have heard of people in similar circumstances to me being put on the older scale. And my understanding was that they were unqualified too, i must have misunderstood, I'll check again. I didn't intend taking the piss I just wanted to check.

Just to update on this in case anyone else is in a similiar situation:

I have heard back from Payroll to say that yes I should be on the 2011 payscale and they are applying qualification allowances for me effective from todays payslip. They are currently calculating arrears for me for my employment to date. The reason I should be on the old payscale seems to be because I was in employment as a post primary teacher early in 2013 and had worked as a teacher prior to 2011. I'm not sure of the specifics outside of that.

I just wanted to let people know it is worth getting your own situation checked if ypu have had any education sector employment prior to 2011 as apparently it is not clear cut and is dealt with on a case by case basis.

I had thought it was highly unlikely I'd get moved having looked in to it myself, but thought I'd pursue it anyway just in case. I'm glad I did now.

Best of luck to anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances

Advertisement