Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android security patch level - difference?

Options
  • 27-10-2017 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

Guys

For the life of me I can't figure out what the difference between the
    october 1st vs october 5th patch levels are

https://source.android.com/security/bulletin/2017-10-01

I only ever get patches for the 1st, am I right that these aren't complete patches - only partial?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭corkie

Patch levels are device/rom dependent.

If your not getting the second level patches they are probably not applicable to your device.

You didn't mention what device/rom you have?

Edit: - It could mean your device/rom maintainer is just lazy and only partially patching the rom.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Rockin

corkie wrote: »
    Patch levels are device/rom dependent.

If your not getting the second level patches they are probably not applicable to your device.

You didn't mention what device/rom you have?

Wilyfox swift 2 plus - 7.1.2 stock ROM

I was under the impression the 5th patches were more complete and 1st were partial. Must be wrong !:)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Rockin wrote: »
    I only ever get patches for the 1st, am I right that these aren't complete patches - only partial?

See below
    2017-07-01: Partial security patch level string. This security patch level string indicates that all issues associated with 2017-07-01 (and all previous security patch level strings) are addressed.

2017-07-05: Complete security patch level string. This security patch level string indicates that all issues associated with 2017-07-01 and 2017-07-05 (and all previous security patch level strings) are addressed.
    corkie wrote: »
    Edit: - It could mean your device/rom maintainer is just lazy and only partially patching the rom.

They're just including the core updates, which the 01 versions contain. Its not a big worry.

Advertisement