Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wool Spinning Class/Experience

Options
  • 27-10-2017 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi

I'm researching some classes/experiences/visits to a Wool Spinners workshop as a gift for my mam who loves all things knitting/crochet.

Has anyone any recommendations or experiences in this field?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

Where are you based? There are some spinners and weavers around the country who do introductory workshops in their studios. Also if you or your mother are going to the Knitting and Stitching Show in Dublin, the Irish Guild of Weavers Spinners and Dyers will have a stand there and there will be volunteers manning the stand, who can give you some information on what us available. Look up www.weavespindye.ie, under the members tab you can see which members are available for workshop visits, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

You might also look up Feltmakers Ireland for a different experience in using wool. Again they have a stand at the Knitting and Stitching show and run workshops regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

Hi thanks for replies. We're based in westmeath but I know my mum won't mind travelling, but if we can get one close to home that would be great! I've been in contact with a lady in Drogheda who seems to do exactly what I'm Looking for. We normally go to the knitting and stitching show but it's just the two of us so it'd be hard for me to chat to someone unknowns to her lol if we go this yr I'll do my best to ditch her for a few mins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

You could always stop by the different stands mentioned above in the knitting and stitching show with your mother to see her reaction, she might react more favourably to one craft than the other. At the Weavers and Spinners guild stand i expect that you will get to see somebody weaving on a table loom and other folks spinning on wheels and drop spindles also. Your mum might surprise you and say: 'Ooo I would love craft X but would not have any interest in craft Y'.
    At the show too, there are workshops that last an hour or so and you could buy two tickets to a workshop of your choice. There are definitely felting workshops and also some shibori dyeing workshops. That could be something you can still book for both of you to do and enjoy.

There is a Weaver and spinner called Aine Dunne in Meath, who teaches weaving and spinning. There is another lady called Alison has a sheep farm and teaches spinning up around that area too. I have her details somewhere. If you are on Facebook look up a page called 'Crafts of Ireland', that lady is based in Virginia in Cavan and teaches spinning. I am in Limerick and that is a bit too far for ye to travel for a class if there are others nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

thanks duckling10 for the information, i will look into it further and keep you in mind, Limerick is only a 2 hour spin from us ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 quaysider

you might also look up Markree woolcraft near Coolooney County Sligo.

Advertisement