Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a cheap online 1 year diploma

Options
  • 26-10-2017 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm a primary school teacher currently living and working in Melbourne. My degree was a 3 year Bachelor of Education in Limerick. The VIT (Victorian Institute of Teaching) require teachers to have studied in college for at least 4 years, so only allow me to do casual relief work (subbing work). So in order for me to get fully registered, I will need to do a 1 year course rated Diploma or higher. It doesn't need to be in education, so I'm looking to branch out and study something new. Could anyone advise on an online course to study from Ireland/EU/Australia? I would need it to be online in order to keep working while studying. I'm also looking to keep costs as low as possible, whilst also choosing a course which is interesting. Most suitable courses are at least $5000-10000 which is too expensive for my budget. Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

That's a pretty bizarre requirement, why is 3 years of actual education and 1 year of anything at all better than 3 years of actual relevant learning, bizarre.

Anyway, I'm not sure 1 year online diplomas would be even worth doing. Would they accept one year completed of a 2 or 3 year course? At least then you can choose a course based on what you want to do, rather than it meeting a silly requirement. Find out more about the requirements and ask would would suffice and what would not

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

Snotty wrote: »
    That's a pretty bizarre requirement, why is 3 years of actual education and 1 year of anything at all better than 3 years of actual relevant learning, bizarre.

Anyway, I'm not sure 1 year online diplomas would be even worth doing. Would they accept one year completed of a 2 or 3 year course? At least then you can choose a course based on what you want to do, rather than it meeting a silly requirement. Find out more about the requirements and ask would would suffice and what would not

I know, it's a ridiculous rule. Anyone who has done a three year undergrad in any course followed by 1 year post-grad in teaching is eligible for full registration but I'm not, even though I've done a 3 year course specifically in teaching. Figure that one out!
    They are a very difficult crowd to get any answers from. I've forwarded on courses to them and asked if that would be enough to get fully registered but they've basically replied saying that they can't assess any qualifications until I've completed the course. So in a year's time they could turn around and say the last year of study I've done has been a waste of time. That's an interesting idea about doing one year of a larger course, I'll ask them, thanks.

[font=Lustria, serif]Upgrading your three-year teaching qualification[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]If you hold a three-year teaching qualification, there are six basic pathways which can lead you to be conferred with four-year qualified status in Victoria.[/font]
      [font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif][*]complete one year of tertiary study towards a single award (such as a degree, diploma or Associate Diploma program) at a recognised Australian higher education institution
      [*]complete one year of tertiary study towards a single award requiring year 12 as a minimum entry requirement (such as an Advanced Diploma, Associate Diploma or Diploma) at a recognised Australian TAFE institution
      [*]complete a fourth year Bachelor of Education program at a recognised Australian higher education institution
      [*]complete any two Graduate Certificate programs at one or more recognised Australian higher education institutions
      [*]complete any one-year Graduate Diploma program at a recognised Australian higher education institution 
      [*]complete a graduate-entry teacher education program at a recognised Australian higher education institution.
      [/font]

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]The one year full-time or part-time equivalent teacher education programs endorsed by VIT are also suitable for three-year qualified teachers wishing to upgrade their qualifications to four-year qualified status. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]That is taken from their website. The problem with this however is I will be paying international fees, which are huge. My best case scenario would be to find a course worth doing in Ireland where I'm not paying massive money because I'm a citizen.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

Try the University of London International Programmes. They have a number of Graduate Diplomas which can be completed in 1 year. Cost about 2,000 sterling http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/courses/search/?solrsort=sort_title%20asc&filters=%20tid%3A558

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

go to springboardcourses dot ie

plenty of free it covnersion courses offered by all colleges in ireland

just on you application make sure you say you're a resident in ireland ;) they won't know any better cause its all done online, but it's for irish residents only

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

just on you application make sure you say you're a resident in ireland ;) they won't know any better cause its all done online, but it's for irish residents only

I wholeheartedly second this.
      It isn't "just" a filler either they are manageable courses that provide you with skills that will massively in demand in the next couple of years - both within teaching and in the wider jobs market.

Hi, haven't been on boards in ages so just saw this! I've checked the FAQs and application criteria, is it very easy to get enrolled in a course even if you aren't residing in Ireland? It seems like a really good initiative!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

IrishKev wrote: »
      Hi, haven't been on boards in ages so just saw this! I've checked the FAQs and application criteria, is it very easy to get enrolled in a course even if you aren't residing in Ireland? It seems like a really good initiative!

I'd say you would have to let on you are residing in ireland. Just give your family home address.

IrishKev wrote: »

I'd say you would have to let on you are residing in ireland. Just give your family home address.
      Yeah great, thanks for that. It's a pity I didn't notice your post when you replied... all the courses for this year have finished! :O  By any chance have you done a course with them? Any idea how competitive the courses are to get in? Not sure whether it's a free for all or if there's a small limit

Advertisement