Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Moped for a 6ft3 12 Stone man ? Is 125 too small (Learner)

Options
  • 26-10-2017 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭

Mate is considering a Moped / Scooter for a Dublin Commute

Killiney to RDS

Im telling him he may need to go bigger than a 125 for his height / weight

He says its within his licence and doesnt want to do test, but does he still have to do a Motor Bike specific test even if its a 125?

Am I right he need to go more powerful than a 125?

Any recommendations on scooter?

Thanks

Comments

worded wrote: »

Killiney to RDS

He says its within his licence and doesnt want to do test, but does he still have to do a Motor Bike specific test even if its a 125?

Thanks

I'm 6'2"/15 stone and rode a 125 Burgman from D15 to Sandyford for a year no problem. I've gone to something bigger now, though.

Regarding his licence, he's on a car licence? If he got his licence before 2006, he can ride a moped up to 49cc. If he got it after 2006, he can't ride a moped without a specific licence. Either way, he can't ride a 125 without a specific licence. That's my understanding, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭fdevine

A bigger 125 scooter would be fine. Burgman, XMax, Forza type

Being tall he might look somewhat silly on a smaller 125 like the NMax or PCX

Short enough commute

If he doesn't have a bike license of any description he will need one for a 125. That'll probably mean theory test & IBT too

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

It's down to how much he has to spend on a bike really which one he goes for, but a 125 should be perfectly fine for that commute, it's roughly 13/15km, and on the N11 for the majority of it.
    doesnt want to do test

I never understood that attitude at all. Why not do a test and get yourself deemed competent to ride??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm 6'3" ish, I rode a px125 back in the day and had no problem, except on motorways and fast national roads. I also drove a Varadero 125 which was a great bike, and again was only a challenge on motorways.

As for the license, I'd advise your 'mate', to look into the licensing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Burgman 400,,,,great yoke to go,loads of room underneath and uber comfy too. Great on the go go juice too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭PopSensyDad

The most of 125cc are designed for 2 passengers, why not for 1 in terms of power. Even Wave110i is fine for short commute.

But I'd recommend at least 250 as your mate is quite tall... I think Mr. Bluefoam mentioned Varadero 125 is ok though. Its a full size one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭Goose81

Killiney to RDS

Thanks

Is this a joke :confused:

At that height and weight your mate must look like Tubridy, a 50cc would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭worded

Maybe an Africa Twin is the way to go ?

If he can’t filter through traffic he can drive over the cars on it

Maybe an Africa Twin is the way to go ?

If he can’t filter through traffic he can drive over the cars on it

Man Id say this lads mother could toss him from Killiney to the RDS fairly handy :D

No need for a bike, I saved you thousands

Goose81 wrote: »
    Is this a joke :confused:

At that height and weight your mate must look like Tubridy, a 50cc would be fine.

To actually answer the question, at 16 I had a moped with power pipe etc and was heavier than your mate is now and it would do 100 kmh, he doesnt need any more than a 50cc for that journey

Yamaha Aerox or Piaggio Nrg (I dont know if thats still being made)

Give it 10 mins and del2005 will be on to tell you the insurance implications of driving a moped over 10 kmh and the legal difference between a moped and a scooter, enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭worded

Pogo sticks ? Boing boing

Advertisement