Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualifications needed to teach Further Ed/PLC

Options
  • 25-10-2017 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi,

I am wondering what qualifications would I need to teach in the childhood sector for Further ed, VEC/Private - Fetac L5 or 6.

I have an ordinary degree and over 5 years experience working in the sector.

Considering another course but would prefer not to complete a 2 year teaching diploma. Would a Train the trainer course be good enough?

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ahappychappy

The Further Education sector consists of individual providers who at present can dictate their trainers criteria. As far as I am aware ETBs require teachers to be TUI registered so you would need the teachers qualification not train the trainer.

By the way train the trainer does not qualify you for a job as such, and I think it has been replaced by Training and Development Award. Years ago it was the criteria to join the list of trainers in FAS, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tdavfc

Thanks ahappychap,

The course I am currently looking at is a QQI Level 6 Training and Development Special Purpose Award. It has two modules. I considered this similar to the old Train the trainer, is this the course you are on about? There is also a 2 year course a QQI Level 8 Professional Diploma in Education (Further Education), which I know would give me better opportunities but not really in a position to complete this at the moment.

Thanks for your advise,

TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 19eighty4

tdavfc wrote: »
    Hi,

I am wondering what qualifications would I need to teach in the childhood sector for Further ed, VEC/Private - Fetac L5 or 6.

I have an ordinary degree and over 5 years experience working in the sector.

Considering another course but would prefer not to complete a 2 year teaching diploma. Would a Train the trainer course be good enough?

TIA.

you might consider looking at these courses:
    1. Higher diploma in further education - https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/study-maynooth/postgraduate-studies/courses/higher-diploma-further-education
    2. Professional Diploma in Education (Further Education) - https://www.mie.ie/en/Study_with_Us/Postgraduate_Programmes/Professional_Diploma_in_Education_Further_Education_/
    3. Postgraduate Diploma in Teaching in Further Education - https://www.wit.ie/courses/type/education/department_of_adult_continuing_education/postgraduate-diploma-in-teaching-in-further-education
    4. Graduate Diploma / M.Ed. in Adult and Further Education - http://www.mic.ul.ie/cpd/Pages/PostgraduateDiplomainEducation.aspx ....
    I know of three people who did the course in Mary I. - all did year 1 (grad. dip) which was enough to secure employment.
    my advise would be to ring Mary I there's always someone who will have a bit more knowledge on the issue.
    Employment wise later on may be tricky - contracts are now changing and most people are being issued with "Resource Person / Adult Resource Person / Adult Educator" jobs - the payment for this is considerably lower than what teachers in secondary level get (despite the fact that in some further ed/youthreach establishments you can be doing the same work as a teacher) -
    if you can get into an ETB, it is something (you are not required to be a TUI/ASTI union member)
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭27061986a

What qualifications would older vec/etb teachers have had? As in non secondary school teachers or people that would have taught in further education only. Where they classified as tutors or teachers, or are tutors and teachers in further education the same thing?

Advertisement