Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice period in Probation

Options
  • 25-10-2017 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've handed in my notice in a job as I don't agree with their practices/ethics that I am still in probation at the moment. (They have offered me other roles and tried keep me but I've no intention of staying).
    In the probation section of the contract it states that the employer can give me one weeks notice while an employee is in probation.
    If I am in probation can I give one weeks notice to leave as it mentions the employer can give one week?
    It doesn't specify anything about an employee giving notice in the probation section.

In the main notice period paragraph after the probation section it details that the employee/employer is entitled to one months notice.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

deceit wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've handed in my notice in a job as I don't agree with their practices/ethics that I am still in probation at the moment. (They have offered me other roles and tried keep me but I've no intention of staying).
    In the probation section of the contract it states that the employer can give me one weeks notice while an employee is in probation.
    If I am in probation can I give one weeks notice to leave as it mentions the employer can give one week?
    It doesn't specify anything about an employee giving notice in the probation section.

In the main notice period paragraph after the probation section it details that the employee/employer is entitled to one months notice.

How long are you working there so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I am working their just under 6 months.
    Sorry for the delayed reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

If you're paid by the week it's a weeks notice and by month it's a month usually. Strange if your contract doesn't state what the notice period is for you... But you're leaving anyway so just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

Generally notice periods are reciprocal. If they only need to give 1 week then same for you.

Have you got another job lined up?

When I handed in my notice I didn't have a job lined up but I had a new job by the end of that day.
    @screamer: I asked and they said I passed my probation even though they didn't notify me so I have to complete a months notice. They want me to stay as long as possible to hand over as much knowledge as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Mitzy

I left a job before I had completed my probationary period. I gave them a weeks notice as it was in the contract that they had to give me one weeks notice if they weren't going to pass me. If you don't want to stay then tell your employer you are giving a week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

deceit wrote:
    When I handed in my notice I didn't have a job lined up but I had a new job by the end of that day. @screamer: I asked and they said I passed my probation even though they didn't notify me so I have to complete a months notice. They want me to stay as long as possible to hand over as much knowledge as possible.

Doesn't matter if they never told you and you never signed a permanent contract, then it's irrelevant what they say now.

Hand in a week's notice and walk away, realistically short of not providing a good reference there's not alot thwy can do.

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter if they never told you and you never signed a permanent contract, then it's irrelevant what they say now.

Hand in a week's notice and walk away, realistically short of not providing a good reference there's not alot thwy can do.
    I will get a good reference no matter what I do (The CISO (high level role) informed me he will give me one).
    Its more about going by the book to offer what I signed, don't want to feel like I've shafted them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

screamer wrote: »
    If you're paid by the week it's a weeks notice and by month it's a month usually. Strange if your contract doesn't state what the notice period is for you... But you're leaving anyway so just ask.

The pay frequency has nothing to do with notice periods - it's a common myth.

The OP said there's a month's notice in the contract, just that there isn't a reduced notice period on their side during probation. It's not illegal to have lopsided notice periods, even if it doesn't seem fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

I've rechecked there and there's a good guide n citizens information there. Basically if they don't state your notice period in your contract you only have to give a weeks notice if there less than 2 years. I can't post the link but look.it up OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

screamer wrote:
    I've rechecked there and there's a good guide n citizens information there. Basically if they don't state your notice period in your contract you only have to give a weeks notice if there less than 2 years. I can't post the link but look.it up OP.

Your notice period is a month, as stated, regardless of probation.

Advertisement