Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop for Hello Neighbor and Minecraft

Options
  • 25-10-2017 1:46pm

Hi

I am not up to date at all with pcs/laptops but my son is looking for a laptop to play these games for Christmas. Fine I thought, until I came across the system requirements which seem insane.

Now I am baffled. Any reccomendations please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What's the budget? Minecraft would run very well on a €350 laptop but the other one is a lot more demanding, based on the minimum spec you'd really want to be spending about €700+.

Thats what I was afraid of looking at the requirements.

Would a laptop for 700+ be a good laptop or would it just be a low end gaming laptop. If I am paying that much would it be good in the future if hes into other games?

Thanks. Sorry I am hopeless with this.

Sorry Max would be 800e but would prefer it to be less than that if possible.

For around €700 it would be low end in the sense that it would run alot of new games pretty well at 1080p but only at low settings - but it would be able to play anything on the market. The 'low end' gaming laptops in the €500 range would be OK for some games but would not be able to run others very well - defintely not that 'Hello Neighbor' game.

If you push it out to about €850 you'll get one with a GTX1050 graphics card that will run all the latest new games at 1080p medium settings very well.

A desktop would be a lot cheaper and more powerful. Especially if you buy 2nd hand, you would get one that would be as powerful as a €850 laptop for about €350.

Thanks very much Terror.

What exactly does low settings and medium settings mean sorry now no need to answer if you dont have time.

Are these laptops that could be just bought in a shop? I thought the desktops would be more expensive?

• Advertisement

No, you would have to buy online. You'd pay about 1 to 1,100 for a same spec laptop from the likes of Currys.

Something like this is a very decent gaming laptop for under your budget.

This one's a good bit cheaper and still reasonable though a good bit slower.

Thanks very much terror they were not lying when they said kids get more expensive as they get older!

I could well be back with more questions.

https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/-zn240icgk-ra024t/version.asp

Would anyone mind telling me if this desktop would be good fir paying Hello Neighbor and minecraft?

Is the Graphics Card included or extra?

And can these all in one type pcs be upgraded in the future?
    Is there SSD memory?

I realise how ridiculous this might sound but I am hopeless!

Thanks.

Also is it Core 5 or 7?

It says 7 on the main ad but 5 is listed below.

No, that's very low end. It's an all-in-one rather than a standard desktop, but the graphics card is low end and would struggle with more modern games. It's an i7 but a low-end "laptop" i7. It's slower than a normal desktop i3 processor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00QKL1GMO/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1509265931&sr=8-10&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=pc+i5+gtx+970

Perhaps a used pc. Just throwing this out there. Just over the 500 euro mark.

Spec wise it will run most games very high 1080p.

Personally I'd stay away from laptops for gaming.

Thanks I am afraid to buy all the bits seperately in case I mess it all up thats why I was hoping to buy it all together. I have lost so many hours to this and still have no clue. I have a budget of around 800 but at this stage could go a bit higher just to get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Thanks I am afraid to buy all the bits seperately in case I mess it all up thats why I was hoping to buy it all together. I have lost so many hours to this and still have no clue. I have a budget of around 800 but at this stage could go a bit higher just to get it sorted.

The HP Omen that terror linked to would be a good shout for your budget, likely as good a laptop as you could get in that price range. Its on amazon as well for the same price.

The MSI GL62M he linked to is better, and better value overall, but also more expensive

Gaming laptops generally take away the best parts of a laptop - their portability and battery life.

IMO, you're way better off getting a laptop for around €500 and an Xbox one for Minecraft and Hello Neighbor

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00QKL1GMO/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1509265931&sr=8-10&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=pc+i5+gtx+970

Perhaps a used pc. Just throwing this out there. Just over the 500 euro mark.

Spec wise it will run most games very high 1080p.

Personally I'd stay away from laptops for gaming.

That's a typical chinese scam, you won't get that PC for that price.

It's getting a bit confusing now, is a desktop now a possibility?

If a laptop is still preferable and your budget is the 800 market just get this, you wouldn't do any better new for that price and it's a pretty good gaming laptop.

If a desktop is also an option for the same money you would get a considerably more powerful machine + monitor for the same money.

Eg this and this.

Someone in Currys told me a Laptop would be cheaper. Im open to either really. But if im spendin 800e or more dont want something crap or that will be useless this time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

If a desktop is an option they're generally the better pick. You'll get much better bang for your buck and they're just that bit more versatile in so far as upgrading them is relatively straightforward and isn't as daunting as you might think which isn't something you can't do with the laptop. If Currys is telling you that a laptop is cheaper he's telling you porkies or at least being conservative with the truth :) Also if it's important to you a desktop will keep him/her in one spot so you can police what they're doing particularly on the internet more easily.

The obvious down side is you'll need a dedicated spot for it so along with the outlay for the pc then you'll also want a desk and a comfy enough chair.

Nothing wrong with Terrorfirmers links up above. I only glanced but you might need to add speakers to that purchase or get him some headphones if you can't be dealing with the noise.

Thanks everyone I appreciate it. Due to a bonus in work my budget has increased to 1000 would I get much more for this? Also in terms of SSD, graphics card or core15 v 17, which would I be better off putting as a priority?

Thanks.

Laptop would be more convinient ( spacewise and financially as I would need to buy desk chair).

But if a desktop is better and not to difficult to source ( I panic at the thought of buying things seperately as I will need to make sure they work fit together) I will go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭EIREAROEIRE

hello neighbour is out on xbox on dec 8 plus mine craft is a cheap buy too if u dont have one u could pick one up 2nd hand for 200

also a lot easier for a kid to use xbox than a pc or laptop no virus crap to worry about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

also a lot easier for a kid to use xbox than a pc or laptop no virus crap to worry about

I think I've had a virus once in close to 20 years of using a pc that was resolved in about 10 minutes.

no bother just thought that was an easier way around things as its for a kid

Thanks very much for all the replys I appreciate it.

I asked him avour tbe xbox but apparently you cant get the mods on xbox thats why he wants the pc/laptop.

Looking at ordering this as I have other people/kids I still need to sort for xmas and this is taking up so much of my time. If someone wouldnt mind telling me would it be good for what I need? Thanks.

https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/msi-pl60-7rd-004uk-core-i7-7500u-8gb-128gb-ssd-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-2gb-9s7-16ja11-004/version.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Laptop would be more convinient ( spacewise and financially as I would need to buy desk chair).

But if a desktop is better and not to difficult to source ( I panic at the thought of buying things seperately as I will need to make sure they work fit together) I will go with that.

If they are going to be playing for long periods a proper desk and chair will be needed for a laptop, the kitchen table or lap is only suitable for short usage. To be properly set up for a laptop you'll need a laptop stand with separate keyboard and mouse.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=laptops+stand&tag=hydrukspg-21&index=aps&hvadid=223895581346&hvpos=1t2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3279907704269994511&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9047197&hvtargid=aud-376820944538:kwd-1486625163&ref=pd_sl_2b2755p3by_e

Advertisement