Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Office 365 and emails ect

Options
  • 24-10-2017 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Ok first off I will admit to being a bit clueless when it comes to this stuff so am looking for some advice. I need to a package for a startup small business, I keep hearing office 365 maybe with emails that will include the name of the business after the @(like @joeblogs.ie or .com), 5 emails would suffice plus a domain that later I could put up a website. I had heard that office 365 is online only so I would prefer a desktop/laptop version so it could be used offline. How do I go about getting this, do I go to Microsoft or are there better resellers of products like this. After sales support would also be good. Am I right in thinking that the emails I get would be handled by their servers and not my ISP's(eir). Any idea of what this should cost would be good and who is good to supply this in the Irish market, I think I would prefer to buy Irish as it were. Any advice would be appericated as any agreement I enter into will be at least for a year.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

I keep hearing office 365 maybe with emails that will include the name of the business after the @(like @joeblogs.ie or .com),
    If you buy office365, microsoft set you up with a domain that looks like mybusinessname.onmicrosoft.com
    Then you change your existing or new domains to direct mail to their servers.

5 emails would suffice plus a domain that later I could put up a website.
    You pay per user mailbox. You can have distribution groups or shared mailboxes to allow multiple employees to work on common email addresses like info@, sales@, hr@ without extra costs.
    I had heard that office 365 is online only so I would prefer a desktop/laptop version so it could be used offline.
    No. The cheapest edition of Office 365 (Office Online, Office 365 Business Essentials or Exchange Online Plan 1 and 2) does not include a license to install Microsoft Office / Outlook.
    You can choose to buy MS Office retail versions as a once off payment rather than pay the higher Office 365 subscription. (Or use a non-microsoft email program, probably not a good idea in the long term for accounts that will have a lot of mail.)
    How do I go about getting this, do I go to Microsoft or are there better resellers of products like this. After sales support would also be good. Am I right in thinking that the emails I get would be handled by their servers and not my ISP's(eir).
    Mail would be stored and delivered to you from Microsoft's servers.
    Any idea of what this should cost would be good and who is good to supply this in the Irish market, I think I would prefer to buy Irish as it were. Any advice would be appericated as any agreement I enter into will be at least for a year.
    Have you got existing computers, existing active mail accounts, already purchased software?
    Blacknight's one page listing of the plans at https://www.blacknight.com/office365/?ref=banner
    might let you get a better idea of what's what.
    That Microsoft Teams (essentially business Skype / Instant Messaging) software looks like it'll become useful.

Advertisement