Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unauthorised game store transactions

Options
  • 24-10-2017 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello,
    First time poster, though feel this is my only avenue to turn to now. Seeking advice please, I have had a substantial sum of money debited from my account as a consequence of unauthorised transactions on an online games store, which my curren account card was linked to.
    The sum was over a period of 48 hours, and my bank have investigated and declared no suspicious activity. I've contacted the app developers and have yet to hear back. There is only one app developer involved and the vendor has advised they can do nothing, directing me to the developers.
    Has anyone had any similar experiences or can you offer any advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Dermo22 wrote: »
    Hello,
    First time poster, though feel this is my only avenue to turn to now. Seeking advice please, I have had a substantial sum of money debited from my account as a consequence of unauthorised transactions on an online games store, which my curren account card was linked to.
    The sum was over a period of 48 hours, and my bank have investigated and declared no suspicious activity. I've contacted the app developers and have yet to hear back. There is only one app developer involved and the vendor has advised they can do nothing, directing me to the developers.
    Has anyone had any similar experiences or can you offer any advice please?

Are you sharing the console? Or has a child used it recently. I'd cancel the card to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dermo22

Are you sharing the console? Or has a child used it recently. I'd cancel the card to be on the safe side.

Hi,
    Card is cancelled since, straight away! It was assigned to a child’s account/device, but was denied that child received the credits that were allegedly purchased.

Thanks for continued advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Hi,
    Card is cancelled since, straight away! It was assigned to a child’s account/device, but was denied that child received the credits that were allegedly purchased.

Thanks for continued advice.

Transaction had to have been made on that account otherwise you should have received an e-mail saying that account was logged on elsewhere.

This wasn't on a tablet by any chance because you should be able to turn on a password prompt for store transactions.

Also change passwords on the device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Are you talking about a console game or a mobile phone game?

Are you talking about a console game or a mobile phone game?

It's a tablet

• Advertisement

It's a tablet

Apologies, tablet app game

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

You've two options really but one is potentially blown depending on how you approached the bank.

1 you tell bank there are unauthorised transactions on your card. They initiate charge backs via Visa. This unfortunately might not work if you have history on the card with the specific game merchant and if the amounts charged individually are small. Basically if the amounts are small enough the bank has to write them off as the fee to apply for a charge back outweighs the amount recovered. So if they see you've lots of transactions in the past with that game they might say uh uh, no charge backs or potentially they did apply and apple/Google said same device, same IP as always which leads to:

2 you speak to Apple or Google whichever it was and tell them they were unauthorised and the person who did them was under age. They've had bad publicity in the past over this and I have seen refunds issued as a result. It's not guaranteed though.

I would however imagine that either Google or apple should be able to see at least the IP address where the payments were initiated and probably even the device if. They might at least be able to tell you if the same device made the purchases. If it is then you go back to your children and put them in a workhouse. If they differ then perhaps you have ammunition to go back to the bank and try again with the charge back.

There is definite fraud via apple and Google store but often it's your kids, if they're particularly young they might not realise what they've done, happens all the time. If kids are playing with a phone or tablet do not have it linked to a card in any way even if password protected.

Advertisement