Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reputable mini moto bike retailer

Options
  • 24-10-2017 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

Looking at a YouTube video of some mini moto racing and it looked like great fun.

Where can these be bought? Not interested in Adverts/Donedeal/Gumtree, more bricks and mortar shops if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Looking at a YouTube video of some mini moto racing and it looked like great fun.

Where can these be bought? Not interested in Adverts/Donedeal/Gumtree, more bricks and mortar shops if possible.

Your location would be handy.
    I could tell you where not to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,936 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Unless you have a large yard or private roads they are useless in this country. Impossible to insure as they are illegal for road use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

blade1 wrote: »
    Your location would be handy.
    I could tell you where not to go.
    Yeah, location would have been useful. :o

Based in North County Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Del2005 wrote: »
    Unless you have a large yard or private roads they are useless in this country. Impossible to insure as they are illegal for road use.

Im guessing the OP wants to race them ?

GBX wrote: »
    Im guessing the OP wants to race them ?
    Not me personally, although I do remember seeing such a race in Douglas at the TT years ago that was a mixture of adults and children (the children ran rings around the adults due to the weight difference :)). It's more curiosity about where I could get one for the daughter in the years to come if she was interested in racing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Not me personally, although I do remember seeing such a race in Douglas at the TT years ago that was a mixture of adults and children (the children ran rings around the adults due to the weight difference :)). It's more curiosity about where I could get one for the daughter in the years to come if she was interested in racing.

well, my two kids are now 17 & 14, and have been on bikes since about...4 ?

They started on a Honda CR50 50cc, 2-stroke automatic, like this:

img_moOQwKv7vwrVm5n.jpg

than CRF75 semi-automatic. Normal gears, but auto clutch (like a Honda 50), like this:

004.jpg

and now just finishing up on CRF100F which is just like a full size bike 'manual' clutch, normal gears, which is now being sold and (one) is looking at a road bike next.
    2006-honda-crf-100f-2004-honda-crf100f-image-2_372af16678bdf400.jpg

A minimoto/road type bike is virtually unusable - there is no place, no track, to use it. If you have a stupendous driveway, great, but it'll get v. boring, v.quick.

Buy a small offroad bike - Yamaha PW50, Honda CRF50F, Suzuk JR50 or similar. Any of the mainstream shops would do them.

Believe me when I tell you: if you buy some Chinese 'yoke' you might as well just burn the money. Btdt, have the t-shirt. I did it once, and will only buy a 'proper' branded one since. The Honda's have been faultless. Not cheap new, but used are a safe bet.

The main advantage of something with off road pretensions is that you can use in your garden, if you're near a farm or are a farmer, a field after they cut the silage is like a stadium on a small bike :) . If they do come off - and they will - off road is soft(er) than tarmac.

And you can still use it on your (stupendous) driveway, if you have one.

This year, the 14yr old did a Track Experience at Donington with the Ron Haslam school -

4stiaJTq6dawGsB8XbLww4jHrDiWXAGqHsQLj6L6RVTfE6sn9HQUnNwC7grF1Qt1BjXrSg2Lu6gDfBlGPOwaXtrvoVF9-b3AepZT4wx7llU8VA7pHB8EvQr1SCgMwWmqdKZBbgMEWMeNEx2_yYNUzmRaIhB9VJsB63WlNrwzNRtzrcNGZVkySyFHRx8i1AQqR78AHpx1a9wIhxiK0rEUKjOo0vOwSgDhxIKrWy4lLrww9Ici2lp3SnANLCG2fSP9WmOfFUZSzzHGDyiQ4YqTvuLDu7O8AJlN9Ut4Rkkc2_W1jVe_SiG7A2V00FAObRgEFydl5UHFTr-2g5iSHVLcH2-iEYEGAFddFhDe_swrGo0TG2snIK-abW8bs_c35vJMLCMwQcr-a1yaFCEoBpu4jaLh0GIFVVOD-tqbZEh4KKa9D-YLaLGi7oPE-DtxYBpm0_l1SjhNp_H8nj9uBjbOhbgk6UTe0bzHGWfhVmrayhXkAokiEltHDg0wTYZvgDiEoNRQf5_bhfU1aUeQVJp29ijCT2XMpQ1b5M56Nx2nGcjK86kIge6iMyGCYryhcOaDY_yUiV_I9phugyOfAHknU-k73U9fKW4rO59E3Zdk0D9hlTHLsINEZ0O9sa0HCpR05fT6gtnq_8mqcNvYU-SIKuxtFkcXy_I10qpU=w1296-h864-no

Either way, it's a great thing to do with kids imho.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

Del2005 wrote: »

Plenty of minimoto and kart tracks available.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

bladespin wrote: »
    Plenty of minimoto and kart tracks available.

Have you check they'll actually allow them on the track where you are, minimoto not allowed on (the 2) kart tracks in the West at any rate.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭breadmond

https://mmrci.co.uk/

These guys should be able to point you in the right direction

breadmond wrote: »
    https://mmrci.co.uk/

These guys should be able to point you in the right direction
    Aghadowey and Nutts Corner? Know them well from my Da racing there when I was a child. :)

Thanks for the link and especially for the memories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

galwaytt wrote: »
    Have you check they'll actually allow them on the track where you are, minimoto not allowed on (the 2) kart tracks in the West at any rate.

Yes.

Advertisement