Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E27 ceiling fitting

Options
  • 24-10-2017 8:47pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can find a E27 pendulum light fitting for a ceiling? Just a bog-standard one like what you'd see in any house.

I'm looking for one because I recently picked up a Philips Hue starter kit (which only seem to be available in E27) but the fitting I want to put one of the bulbs in is a B22.

Looking in the various hardware shops I've only come across B22 fittings and would rather not get a B22>E27 adaptor (not least because it would leave the bulb hanging down a bit).

Would also hate to have one of the Hue bulbs sitting idle while I go out and drop another €20 on a B22 bulb.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

flogen wrote:
    Would also hate to have one of the Hue bulbs sitting idle while I go out and drop another €20 on a B22 bulb.

I picked up a few in Ikea for two euro about a month ago, that was about half price.

I haven't used them yet, the rose is very big on them, good quality

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Stoner wrote: »
    I picked up a few in Ikea for two euro about a month ago, that was about half price.

I haven't used them yet, the rose is very big on them, good quality

Thanks - hadn't thought of Ikea; should have known better given their love of E-type bulbs.

Will have to check to see if I'll be able to swap out the screwed on base for the weird hook thing that they use... have a feeling there's a hole in the ceiling behind the current fitting that might make that hard to do.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

You can keep the base of your old ceiling rose.

Remove just the flex, replace it with the Ikea flex. The lid of the Ikea fitting will cover over the old base the new lid has a lock nut on the flex

Stoner wrote: »
    You can keep the base of your old ceiling rose.

Remove just the flex, replace it with the Ikea flex. The lid of the Ikea fitting will cover over the old base the new lid has a lock nut on the flex

Great, thanks. Will pick one up tomorrow and see how I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

If there's a eurosales near you (and handier than ikea) they have them.
    https://www.eurosales.ie/products/E27PENDANTWHI.html?name=pendant+e27&type=simple

I'd have thought most electrical suppliers would have them either.

• Advertisement

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    If there's a eurosales near you (and handier than ikea) they have them.
    https://www.eurosales.ie/products/E27PENDANTWHI.html?name=pendant+e27&type=simple

I'd have thought most electrical suppliers would have them either.

I'm actually quite close to a Eurosales and hadn't realised!

Was surprised not to find any standard light fittings with E27 connections in any of the main hardware shops - even when it came to lamp fittings they were exclusively bayonet-based

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

Hi did you ever get sorted I'm in the same boat need e27 fitting that can hold a light shade. going to have look in IKEA next time I'm passing

nigwerwig wrote: »
    Hi did you ever get sorted I'm in the same boat need e27 fitting that can hold a light shade. going to have look in IKEA next time I'm passing

I picked up the Ikea Hemma fitting in the end.

The cord is extremely long but it's easy enough to cut to size and straight-forward to wire. One word of warning is that you need a hook to fix the fitting to the ceiling (I think this is it).

I had assumed the Hemma had everything I needed to install but it doesn't!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

flogen wrote: »
    I picked up the Ikea Hemma fitting in the end.

Looks good, and at just €3.25 is great value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

I have a couple of IKEA light fittings and I have not been able to get the cup things to sit flush with the ceiling. My arms were absolutely aching after being above head height for such a long time while battling to get the cup to sit right. Maybe I'm not doing it right, but I find it to be a poor design.

I googled "ikea light not sitting flush with the ceiling" and came across a couple of matches on different forums. One guy even had photos taken in IKEA of the cups not sitting right on the ceiling. smile.png

When I get around to it, I'm going to cannibalize them by using the E27 fitting and cable along with the base of the B22 pendant.

I think that it might be possible to snip away some of the B22 base plate to accommodate the hook.

Would be interested to see if it is easier for others to do!

I've attached a photo of how one of my IKEA pendants looks.

• Advertisement

Ted Plain wrote: »
    I have a couple of IKEA light fittings and I have not been able to get the cup things to sit flush with the ceiling. My arms were absolutely aching after being above head height for such a long time while battling to get the cup to sit right. Maybe I'm not doing it right, but I find it to be a poor design.

I googled "ikea light not sitting flush with the ceiling" and came across a couple of matches on different forums. One guy even had photos taken in IKEA of the cups not sitting right on the ceiling. smile.png

When I get around to it, I'm going to cannibalize them by using the E27 fitting and cable along with the base of the B22 pendant.

I think that it might be possible to snip away some of the B22 base plate to accommodate the hook.

Would be interested to see if it is easier for others to do!

I've attached a photo of how one of my IKEA pendants looks.

The Ikea fitting went perfectly around the old B22 base plate for me - and I managed to get it to sit fairly flush using the clip-type-thing on the inside.

Advertisement