Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting doors without sanding?

Options
  • 24-10-2017 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am in the process of getting my painter to paint all my interior doors and architrave white. He has not sanded any of the doors before applying the undercoat. The doors had a smooth shiny varnish finish. I asked him about sanding but he said they didn't need it. He's not using BIN primer either. I don't want to insult him by asking him about it again as he has been a painter for many years. I am so worried that it will flake away in no time. Please tell me it will be ok?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Juwwi

The doors should be sanded to take away the shine off the varnish .

Try scraping the door with your nail to see if its coming off easy , do you know what primer he used ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Ledmund wrote: »
    I am in the process of getting my painter to paint all my interior doors and architrave white. He has not sanded any of the doors before applying the undercoat. The doors had a smooth shiny varnish finish. I asked him about sanding but he said they didn't need it. He's not using BIN primer either. I don't want to insult him by asking him about it again as he has been a painter for many years. I am so worried that it will flake away in no time. Please tell me it will be ok?!

If he has put undercoat on previously varnished timber without sanding or using a primer then he is NOT A PAINTER.
    He may well be wearing a white pants and painting a long time...that still does not make him a painter..
    If you are paying him you are entitled to ask the questions. Will he stand over it if and when it chips off??????

• Registered Users Posts: 34,581 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

'Smooth shiny varnish finish' could mean oil paint and not varnish - in which case you'd just need to give it a quick sand so the new undercoat keys to the oil paint. (wouldnt need to strip it right back or anything)

edit - OP, is the painter painting varnished wooden doors or doors that already have a coat of paint on them and he's changing the colour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

o1s1n wrote: »
    'Smooth shiny varnish finish' could mean oil paint and not varnish - in which case you'd just need to give it a quick sand so the new undercoat keys to the oil paint. (wouldnt need to strip it right back or anything)

Primer first surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,581 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

mikeysmith wrote: »
    Primer first surely?

Depends entirely on what's there.

I'm not sure from the OP if it's just varnished wood or wooden doors which have already been painted (one would mean primer, the other you could use undercoat)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

I had those wooden/pine effect doors throughout the house and painted them all white a few years. I suppose they had some sort of satin finish on them. Did I sand them? Did I fcuk. I still wouldn't be finished. And they're all fine still.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ledmund

I'm only seeing your replies now, apologies in my delayed reply.
    The doors were a varnished pine and I wanted to paint them white.
    He is using crown quick dry primer and undercoat. He said it will need 2 coats followed by 2 coats of crown quick drying satin top coat.
    I voiced my concerns again today that it would just peel off but he assures me that he has done this many times before and it won't budge.
    After 1 coat of the primer/undercoat it came off very easily with my nail. Will this change after multiple coats? There are 19 doors plus all the skirting and architrave. If this doesn't work out I won't be able to afford to put it right ��

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

He is using crown quick dry primer and undercoat. He said it will need 2 coats followed by 2 coats of crown quick drying satin top coat.
    I voiced my concerns again today that it would just peel off but he assures me that he has done this many times before and it won't budge.
    After 1 coat of the primer/undercoat it came off very easily with my nail. Will this change after multiple coats? There are 19 doors plus all the skirting and architrave. If this doesn't work out I won't be able to afford to put it right ��

Sounds exactly like what I did. It can be hard to kill the original colour alright. I've had no problems with scratches or peeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Juwwi

I don't want to worry you but he's not doing it right .

Regarding the "paint coming off easily with nail will it change after multiple coats" ,, it will a little as it hardens but not enough to make it hard wearing long term , vacuum cleaner hitting off it stuff that's unavoidable will chip it .

My advice is ring Crown Paints tomorrow and ask to speak to a technical adviser and explain the job being done the lack of preparation and paint he's using and get their opinion ,at least then if you question him again you can say crown are saying this to me .

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ledmund

Thank you. That's a good idea. Never considered asking the paint company for advice. ��

• Advertisement
Advertisement