Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Short Games

Options
  • 24-10-2017 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭

In the past five years the only two open world games that I've truly enjoyed have been The Witcher 3 and Breath of the Wild. I'm finding now that I enjoy short games much more and I would rather play a mediocre linear game like Deadlight, than a highly rated open world game like GTA 5. With that in mind, I'm wondering if you good people can recommend me some short games. My main preference is 2D platformers, like Inside, but I'm open to any game that will take less than 10 hours to complete.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Titanfall 2 has the best campaign i've played in a long time. Takes about 6 hours to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

. My main preference is 2D platformers, like Inside, but I'm open to any game that will take less than 10 hours to complete.

-Shovel Knight
    -Hollow Knight
    -Limbo
    -Bastion
    -Little Nightmares
    -Cuphead

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kentucky Route Zero, Naissance, Quadrilateral Cowboy, Samorost 3 - a few games that pack more into their limited run times than most franchises do over years of releases :)

Cuphead is an incredible aesthetic achievement - looks, sounds and plays great. Bastard hard, but cleverly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Journey. Got it free on Playstation Plus a year or two ago and played through it all in one sitting. Only took a few hours but an incredible few hours. Very simple to play too.

The Telltale Games probably only take about 10 hours to play, plus they're split into episodes so you can play in approx. 2 hour bursts. I'd recommend The Wolf Among Us and Tales From The Borderlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Mark of the Ninja, Bastion, Battleblock Theatre, The Cave, Castle Crashers, Limbo, Gunpoint, Hotline Miami, Ori and the Blindforest, Pyre, Party Hard, The Swapper, This War of Mine, Transistor, Fez, Grow Up.

All of these games can be picked up for around 2-15 euro each, especially with the incoming Steam Sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Brothers - a tale of two sons
    Oxenfree
    Guacamelee

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Steamworld Dig, and the sequel, Steamworld Dig 2, are also pretty fun and short as well. Probably about 6-8 hours to just work through them, more if you want to explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Antichamber is a weird fps puzzler, very fun game. Takes about 2 hours to beat

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

JOURNEY

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Dust: An Elysian Tale is a fantastic short-ish game!

• Advertisement

Salt & Sanctuary should tick a few boxes for you perhaps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Junipers Knot

2 hour visual novel that is both free and not perverted garbage.

I finished Undertale in three short sittings

JOURNEY

Can you say that again? I didn't catch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Can you say that again? I didn't catch it.

4fc2ba2b-1e28-4ea0-950a-6ee7b2217404.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Junipers Knot

2 hour visual novel that is both free and not perverted garbage.

One of the few VNs to actually make me cry.

Doki Doki Literature Club also gave me the Feels.
    ========
    ABZÜ is very, very pretty.
    ========
    Rez can be beaten in a night, but it's oh-so-worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

In the past five years the only two open world games that I've truly enjoyed have been The Witcher 3 and Breath of the Wild. I'm finding now that I enjoy short games much more and I would rather play a mediocre linear game like Deadlight, than a highly rated open world game like GTA 5. With that in mind, I'm wondering if you good people can recommend me some short games. My main preference is 2D platformers, like Inside, but I'm open to any game that will take less than 10 hours to complete.

Ori and The Blind Forest. I'm also playing Little. Nightmares at the minute.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As an old fart and a fan of the occasional radio play on BBC Radio 4, Dear Esther and Everyone's Gone To The Rapture are fantastic.
    Neither are going to rock you with action, but the story telling is original and compelling, combined with Firewatch they bring a new way to tell a tale into the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,678 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Gone Home & Firewatch for story. Hotline Miami for crazy gore killing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 UB Dude

Hellblade is excellent.

• Advertisement

shadow complex

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Half-Minute Hero can scratch an itch if you want a JRPG but really god damn quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,755 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

To the moon is a cool short story game, as long as you are not bothered by rpg maker style games.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Alan-Wake-American-Nightmare-Box-Art.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Sticking with your criteria and avoiding games already mentioned...

Thomas Was Alone - One of my favourite 2D platformers since the indie resurgence.

Contrast - Not strictly 2D and definitely not perfect but I really enjoyed this puzzle/platformer

NOT A HERO - 2D shooter that's a cross between Hotline Miami and, depending on character selection, Vanquish. Loved it.

Super Time Force Ultra - Super fun 2D shooter with a neat time rewind / character switch mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Foxtales
    Stories: The Path of Destinies
    This War of Mine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

header.jpg?t=1462829956.

Advertisement