Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architrave on windows?

Options
  • 24-10-2017 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

What do people think of putting architrave around windows, in particular for a new build house? There's a new build house in Collins Avenue that has this, see pic below. It's the first time I've seen this on new build\modern houses.

I presume the architrave around the windows would be the same as the one used around the doors (same profile\width).

e389c4f1_e298_4985_848f_5f7f646e7f9c_n.jpg

Does it only really work if you have wooden windows like this house? I really like the look, but I have PVC windows. Lots of my house (new build) would be the same: architrave, skirting, doors, kitchen, paint colours.

I was thinking of going with roman blinds. I presume if I put architrave around the windows, then I can only go with roman blinds that are inside the frame of the window, having them outside would look odd as they'd be so wide?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭PMBC

What do people think of putting architrave around windows, in particular for a new build house? There's a new build house in Collins Avenue that has this, see pic below. It's the first time I've seen this on new build\modern houses.

I presume the architrave around the windows would be the same as the one used around the doors (same profile\width).

e389c4f1_e298_4985_848f_5f7f646e7f9c_n.jpg

Does it only really work if you have wooden windows like this house? I really like the look, but I have PVC windows. Lots of my house (new build) would be the same: architrave, skirting, doors, kitchen, paint colours.

I was thinking of going with roman blinds. I presume if I put architrave around the windows, then I can only go with roman blinds that are inside the frame of the window, having them outside would look odd as they'd be so wide?

Interesting and I think a lot depends on the style/design of the house, size of rooms and even the colour of the window frames. Some famous architect said 'less is more' and we can all be guilty of over egging. So maybe leave as it is. Old houses with architrave or framing around the windows often had timber shutters inside, hanging off that framing, and/or curtains. So curtains would not be out in that situation. The downside of putting a blind at the inside face of the wall is that it wont completely darken the room but in my experience even Roman blinds will pull away a small amount. Yo can also do plain framing/architrave with 222 or 322 skirting like timber.
    Not a complete answer but hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

Thanks. Definitely gives some food for thought.

I checked the width of my windowsill past the window opening and it isn't as wide as the architrave on my doors. So it might not be that simple to do for me - I guess I'd need to rip out all my windowsills and then replace and replaster to cover damage caused by removing windowsill. Or maybe it'd be possible to place a wider windowsill neatly over my current ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

iv seen this done twice. once was done in plaster like the coving. it really suited the house and complimented the room.
    the other was painted timber and looked too DIYy . it didn't look right In the room it caught your eye when it shouldn't. the first house it blended in and gave a nice shadow line

its personal preference. iv never done it myself so havnt experimented and seen before and after
    if it was me I wouldn't use standard architrave. I would mill up a nicer profile to suite that job better. and then make the architrave and skirting match that.
    a lot of American houses are done with this detail and it can look great. have a look at some of the profiles they are using

if it was me I wouldn't use standard architrave. I would mill up a nicer profile to suite that job better. and then make the architrave and skirting match that

I already have my architrave (for doors) and skirting in the house, so this wouldn't be an option for me I'm afraid.

In the case of this house from Collins Avenue, I think they have use the exact same architrave on both the doors and the windows. See pic below:

Architrave.png

When you say you would mill up a nicer profile, do you mean you'd get it custom made by someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I don't mean a one off profile but rather a nicer shape.
    Lots of options out there. Lots of joinery shops have the cutters to make nicer but still standard profiles

The one in the pic looks good. It's not a big standard local hardware store one that every one else has.

• Advertisement

The Ulysses or Victoriana from Deanta look quite similar to the architrave used in this house http://deantadoors.ie/interior-door-collection/skirting-and-architrave/ ?

If I wanted to go with this look should I use the same architrave I have around my doors (Ulysses from Deanta)? Wondering if I went for something different would it look a bit odd?

Advertisement