Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tethering and Signal Strength

Options
  • 23-10-2017 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've moved into a new apartment (rental) and am trying to set up internet access.

My initial plan was to update to a sim only deal with a large data amount and tether it to my laptop.

However, I've encountered a few issues. First one being that the signal strength in the apartment is not great. I've checked the phone status and it is reporting Signal Strength of -113dBm 0asu near window on arm of a chair.

Beside the window on floor, it improves to -111dBm 1 asu.

Resting it on the balcony door frame, it improves again to -99dBm and 7asu.

Bearing in mind that this is a Samsung S2 from 2011 and I'm looking to upgrade to a Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 when it is released, is it wise to suffer a for a month or two with this set up or should I now opt for a broadband provider.

Is there any reason to suspect/believe that the signal strength will not improve with a new handset?

I am aware that I'll have to get a sim which allows all/most of data to be used in this format.
    My rationale for this is that I'd get better value for money if I pooled all the money into a single source of data and I could then use it whenever, whereever. And if I decided to leave apartment early I would not have issues with the remaining months of the contract.

Any logic in my plan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The S2 is a slow 3G Device, not even the modern 3G. Assuming LTE is available in the area testing with it is pointless.

Its also pointless to test with network A if you end up using network B. Network B will be Three anyways due to the unlimited data at 20E/Mo.

As long as you dont mind crap speeds at peak its an ok plan.

Advertisement