Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The contraceptive pill

Options
  • 23-10-2017 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi,

I have two questions in relation to the contraceptive pill,

1) Can someone get the contraceptive pill on the medical card?

2) A friend and I were chatting and wondering if you can get the contraceptive on the medical card, can a male go into the chemist and get it under it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Howlin wrote: »
    Hi,

Yes, as are longer acting contraceptives like the coil and bar, though a GP might add a small fee to put those in for you, even if you have a medical card.
    2) A friend and I were chatting and wondering if you can get the contraceptive on the medical card, can a male go into the chemist and get it under it?

A male or anyone you like can pick it up for you, but it couldn’t be put on a male’s medical card? Is that what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Howlin

Thanks,

In relation to the second question, yes I am wondering if a male can get the contraceptive pill on his medical card.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Howlin wrote:
    In relation to the second question, yes I am wondering if a male can get the contraceptive pill on his medical card.

No, a medical card only covers medicines prescribed to the owner of the card.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Thanks,

Absolutely no, also just to let you know getting your meds under someone elses card ifs fraud and could result in sanction and even possible criminal offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 minnieheek

Hi,

Yes you can get the pill on the medical card you'll have to pay the 2.50 charge in the chemist, I'm not sure what you mean by the second part of wanting a man to get it for you but my dad used to collect my prescription a few times with my medical card if that is any help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

OP to go on the pill you need regular checkups as well as a chat about possible side effects, discussing which particular pill might be best for you etc. So either way a doctor visit would be needed. If you're asking because it's so costly then Maybe if the two people split the cost of this it would work out more affordable?

Another thing, when I went on the pill I was asked to come back every three months (I'm in my 30's so if you're younger your appointments may be further apart). After the first two times I explained that I was finding it very difficult to afford this, the doctor was happy to leave longer between the appointments based on my blood pressure and results of various other tests. So that might be an option too.

Advertisement