Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor/Eir Call Catcher...

Options
  • 23-10-2017 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Bit of an interesting one. A friend of mine was getting prank calls but forgot to change their number to private once. We wanted to figure out who it was. He had no credit so we used my phone and set my number to private ( double checked by ringing my friends phone)

So we ring the prank caller and I hear the “meteor call catcher will let them know” speech. Two minutes later I get a phone call from the pranker on my phone.

Surely this is a breach of privacy and data protection no?!?

TL;DR Meteor/Eir sent a call catcher even tho my number was on private.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Possibly not.

The call catcher appears to call Eirs infrastructure.
    If you return a call through Call Catcher the number you call will come up as 08557111111 in your usage.

That way they can cally you without actually knowing your number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Irishyy

ED E wrote: »
    Possibly not.

The call catcher appears to call Eirs infrastructure.

That way they can cally you without actually knowing your number.

So your saying the message that the pranker would have got from eir/meteor wouldn’t have shown my number? What would it have said instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've not used that service so I can't be sure but it could just present itself as an Eir number and the SMS would say "hit dial to call the person back".

Advertisement