Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect fee for Velux window planning permission

Options
  • 23-10-2017 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

I hope to put 2 Velux Windows on my attic roof. No attic conversion. I just want daylight up there. At the front of the house so I'll need planning permission.
    What should I expect an architect to charge for doing drawings and putting in the application for me. It will be with Kerry County Council.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Why not put them to the back?

Cost of preparing and submitting a full planning application would probably be similar to (if not more than) the cost of putting in the Velux! Plus no guarantee planning permission would be granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,096 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Why not put them to the back?

Cost of preparing and submitting a full planning application would probably be similar to (if not more than) the cost of putting in the Velux! Plus no guarantee planning permission would be granted.
    Possibly north vrs south orientation.

As for how much. Depends on what you can supply tbh.
    If you have existing site plan, elevations etc, then very little work is needed. On the other hand, if a full survey is needed, the workload triples.

I'd expect the council to ask to serious questions about somebody putting windows in an unconverted attic. Cover that aspect well imo

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mellor wrote: »
    Possibly north vrs south orientation.

For an un-converted attic, does it really matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,096 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DOCARCH wrote: »
    For an un-converted attic, does it really matter?
    Solar gain will buffer energy loss regardless of whether it's a converted attic or not.
    Light would also be better from the south - but presumably he's not up there often enough for it to be a huge factor

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Southern Comfort

Docarach and Mellor, thanks for your replies.

It's a holiday home. A 2 storey duplex townhouse. Front faces west. I neglected to say that my plan is to have one window throwing natural light on the stairwell with a plasterboard tunnel from the roof window to the landing ceiling. The other one would give me a distant sea view. Putting the window on the back roof wouldn't. It's a good size attic which I use a lot for storage purposes so I'm up there a fair bit and would prefer to be able to look out towards the sea. Throwing in stairwell daylight from an east facing roof window isn't possible due to obstruction by a huge water tank and one or two other bits and pieces.

We only bought it a few years ago so I don't have site plans, elevations etc.

A number of my neighbour's have put roof windows at the back but didn't need planning permission for that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I hope to put 2 Velux Windows on my attic roof. No attic conversion. I just want daylight up there. At the front of the house so I'll need planning permission.
    What should I expect an architect to charge for doing drawings and putting in the application for me. It will be with Kerry County Council.

Planning would mean
    Survey, All elevations existing and proposed, check of existing planning & history check, plans, site plan, application form, site notice, cover letter, markup os maps, planning add...

Planning may be straight forward but would run the risk of septic tank info request.

Suggest an arch tech Would charge ~1k plus fixes costs (add,os map & cheque)

This is subject to you getting a local guy, who’s not busy..

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Southern Comfort

BryanF wrote: »
    Planning would mean
    Survey, All elevations existing and proposed, check of existing planning & history check, plans, site plan, application form, site notice, cover letter, markup os maps, planning add...

Planning may be straight forward but would run the risk of septic tank info request.

Suggest an arch tech Would charge ~1k plus fixes costs (add,os map & cheque)

This is subject to you getting a local guy, who’s not busy..

Thanks Bryan.

It sounds like a huge amount to be honest and an amount I certainly wouldn't be willing to pay. I actually know a local guy who's semi retired and not too busy but..............

No septic tank as we're on the main sewer etc.

This all sounds like an awful lot of trouble and money to put in 2 Velux windows.

The obvious solution is to move the tank etc and put the windows at the back.

Your knowledgeable input is appreciated, as always, Bryan.

Advertisement