Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coving

Options
  • 22-10-2017 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭

How difficult a job is it to do?...are should i get a pro

how much for a living-room ? ball park figure

how-to-fit-coving.jpg?h=375&la=en&mw=500&w=500

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

How many corners in the living room?

Coving isint generally a tough nut to crack, but having the right tools is what makes it simple

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

its a nightmare!!

Few different systems out there now. Cutting the angles being the main problem.
    You can get pre-cut coving but its only any use if your wall angles are bang on 90 degrees - most walls arent, in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    How many corners in the living room?

seven,

how much would a decorator charge?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Candlemania

fryup wrote: »
    how much would a decorator charge?

Same question here!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I find alot of decorators do a very poor job of coving. Any hotel I've ever been in has been terrible with filler slapped over the joints.
    I do coving regularly for family and I use a home made mitre box made for the job.
    It's doable if you have a bit of a head for it.
    I use artex coving adhesive and put a continuous bead on and allow it to squeeze out of joint before cleaning it back.
    My top tips would be to mark the bottom of coving on the wall right around the room you could end up changing the angle slightly as you go around meaning they won't meet up at all when you arrive back to join to the first piece.
    Secondly I'd suggest doing the outer corners such as chimney first and work away from there.
    Get 3m lengths if it suits your room, otherwise 2m.

• Advertisement

got quoted €150 to put up polystyrene coving on a 5m sq room with a chimney brest ...is that a fair price ?

Would you consider putting up the plasterboard type instead as polystyrene is mikey mouse imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

This might be an incredibly stupid question, but is it possible to get a coving that’s flexible? As in, I have a curve in the front walls of my sitting room (i.e.there are only 2 corners). I would love coving to finish off the room, but am assuming it’s not an option.

Shouldn't be an issue really. The plasterboard one is quite flexible. If the curves are very small it might need a bit more thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

you can buy special foam based coving (and cornicing) that is very flexible. I havnt used it but have seen it on site once. it went around a 10 foot radius curved wall perfectly. 90 degree bend too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Great! Thanks! I thought everyone would be laughing at such a ridiculous proposition!

mickdw wrote: »
    Would you consider putting up the plasterboard type instead as polystyrene is mikey mouse imo.

polystyrene looks fine from a distance you couldn't tell the difference once its up..and its light and easy to put up and better still you don't have to paint it

btw - was €150 a fair price?

Advertisement