Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More casual clothing for use on the bike

Options
  • 22-10-2017 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

I passed my test on Friday and I currently wear a Spada textile suit when on the bike. The two things have nothing to do with each other, but I'm rather chuffed about the former, so there it is. I also wear boots which come up to my shins. Not great to walk in.

Thinking of picking up a pair of jeans. I did read a thread before about Hood jeans, so I'll start with them unless anyone has any other recommendations.

What ankle boots would you folks suggest that I look at?

Also a more compact jacket. Not black in colour. If I had the option, it would be red, or at least have some red on it. Anyone got a brand for me to look at?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Well done with the test !!!

Are you looking for clothes to wear all day (work day or such), or just to be casual so you can drop in to town and not walk around in full biker gear?

I have a pair of Hood Jeans and think they are great. Comfortable and they don't look out of place. Not ideal for wearing all day, mostly due to the knee protection. But, if you want to take that out and then put it back in before you ride, they are just like normal jeans.

In boots, make sure that whatever you go for has good ankle protection.

For a jacket, most stores have a decent selection of leather casual jackets that would still have armour protection. Just an example - https://www.cottermc.com/clothing/jackets/richa-toulon-mens-leather-long-sleeve-jacket-black-red.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Paulw wrote: »
    Are you looking for clothes to wear all day (work day or such), or just to be casual so you can drop in to town and not walk around in full biker gear?
    It's the latter mostly, apart from work on Fridays. I'll order a pair of the Hood jeans and take a look at jackets and boots in shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I've a pair of coarse jeans that I got on xlmoto.ie I've worn them for a full day a few times with no issues even with knee and hip pads in

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I don't know how anyone orders stuff online, sizing with motorbike stuff is a nightmare from my experience. Take a look in bikeworld and cotters, the best way to see what's available is to go into a shop and look for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Cienciano wrote: »
    I don't know how anyone orders stuff online, sizing with motorbike stuff is a nightmare from my experience. Take a look in bikeworld and cotters, the best way to see what's available is to go into a shop and look for yourself.

I took the risk because the price was so good, my jeans have a bit of stretch in them so the fit is perfect

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I'm kinda along those lines too. However, you can't always get what you want in the shops, and you can sometimes get better prices online.

In general, I will try to find what I want in a shop, make sure I know the size and then sometimes order online.

With the Hood jeans, they are very good at sizing, and their website is very clear. They don't supply in shops, only direct. When I got my Hood jeans, I was very pleased. They were a slight bit long and a bit tight on the hips, but, after a week or so the denim stretched out around the hips, and when seated in a riding position, the jeans are not overly long.

Definitely agree on the prices in shops being crazy. I had a look at some gloves in bikeworld, they were a brand I never heard of. They were €70. A quick google in the shop and they were €29.99 online. I'd try on stuff in the shop and buy one or 2 things and buy the rest online.

My experience shopping for bike stuff online is buying a pair of boots, got 1 size up and they were still tiny. Later tried 2 sizes up and still couldn't get my foot in. Another was replacing gloves that I liked. Same brand, same model, same size and they were still too tight! Tried on some Dainese stuff before, I think they just stick random size labels in stuff purely so you can't buy online!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Like Blanchy, I've recently gotten a good bit of stuff from XLmoto. They do a free exchange service on mis sizes (which I have just used, no bother).

Chiorino wrote: »
    Like Blanchy, I've recently gotten a good bit of stuff from XLmoto. They do a free exchange service on mis sizes (which I have just used, no bother).

Cool, free returns is great. nike.com and addidas do that and it's really handy, must check out that site

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

This casual enough for ya..........that passenger seat is for sale on ebay....:p

wmb-green-bikini-on-kawasaki-ninja.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

I've some John Doe jeans and cargo pant as well as a black cloth jacket and some boots from Stylemartin.
    All pretty comfy and casual and somewhat water protecting.

I can change at work so I rarely use them as I still prefer my full completely waterproof gear for the commute.
    YMMV and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Pulled the trigger on a pair of blue K7 Hood jeans.

They were reduced in price (£122.99 - £98.39 base price) and the website stated the following:
    Please Note: This style is being discontinued. When they are gone, they are gone for good. To check whether your size is still available just click on the drop down menu.

So if you're considering buying a pair, this might be a good time to do it.

Advertisement