Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christian Objects at Wood Quay

• 22-10-2017 9:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I am having great difficulty trying to get information on the objects unearthed at Wood Quay in the late 1970s.

Does anyone know of a list of religious artefacts, Christian versus pagan ones found at the site? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭mocmo

http://irishacademicpress.ie/product/viking-dublin-the-woodquay-excavations/

If there is such a list in existence, Pat Wallace is the man to ask about it. Have you tried contacting him? I'm sure the NMI would forward correspondence.

Have you got his book? If not I would start with it.

Have you visited the topographic files in the NMI? It would be a laborious task to trawl through all the entries and read the descriptions to find out whether there was a Christian or pagan element to them. It would take a long time and there may be time limits on visits in order to facilitate multiple researchers.

Where are you likely to find what you are looking for, objects of wood, bone/antler, stone, metal, glass?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

mocmo wrote: »
    http://irishacademicpress.ie/product/viking-dublin-the-woodquay-excavations/

If there is such a list in existence, Pat Wallace is the man to ask about it. Have you tried contacting him? I'm sure the NMI would forward correspondence.

Have you got his book? If not I would start with it.

Have you visited the topographic files in the NMI? It would be a laborious task to trawl through all the entries and read the descriptions to find out whether there was a Christian or pagan element to them. It would take a long time and there may be time limits on visits in order to facilitate multiple researchers.

Where are you likely to find what you are looking for, objects of wood, bone/antler, stone, metal, glass?

Thank you. I will get the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

I dont think there's a published comrprehensive catalogue of all the artefacts - Wallace was a bit dismissive of artefacts smaller than houses. Offhand, there were several little wooden 'world serpent' amulets and a wooden boss possibly from a looted monastery - they are included in Lang's book on the wooden artefacts. There were also several amber Thor's hammer pendants and one amber cross pendant. I think there were metal Thor's hammers as well.

It's a very interesting question, and a good example of why an accessible artefact catalogue would enable research on wider societal (and environmental) issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭mocmo

No there isn't a published catalogue, but there must be some sort of database/list and Pat Wallace is the man to ask. The NMI may have one also, a call to the Duty Officer would do no harm.

If memory serves there are some wooden and leather objects with Christian crosses on them also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Aelfric

There are also thematic books available in the NMI lobby on artefacts of various material from the Viking age excavations in Dublin

• Advertisement
Advertisement