Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Undermined and Overlooked

Options
  • 22-10-2017 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Could I get your thoughts?

I've been with my job for almost ten years and in the industry for 17 (employed for near 30).

I'm not a manager or anything but was given responsibilities and was a source of information.

A year ago a new team was created and since then things have deteriorated. The boss seems to have zero confidence in me. Despite my experience when a question is asked even on the occasions it's to do with my previous role he'll ask someone else- usually someone new which is really demoralizing

He asks me to do things then changes them in front of me and if he is copied into an email even about something minor he will dictate what I should say

He is very patronising (giving me a minor task an idiot could do and making a big deal with the praise). He is really getting me down.

Am I overreacting ? Should I be glad I have a job???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Why are you bothering to stay there? You clearly don’t enjoy working there and probably go in every day with resentment.

Fresh start warranted here somewhere else I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I've been with my job for almost ten years
    He is very patronising (giving me a minor task an idiot could do and making a big deal with the praise). He is really getting me down.
    The two could be related; you're still there as you don't think you'll get a better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

He asks me to do things then changes them in front of me and if he is copied into an email even about something minor he will dictate what I should say

This is some people's style. It's amazingly annoying but I would ignore it.

I would be more worried that he is going to other people with questions though.

It might be time to look around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Overall it's not an easy answer (in my opinion)
    On one hand if a person is really unhappy in their job they should leave and find another. Most people don't love their job but there is a difference in finding your job alright (as in you dont mind it etc) and then being unhappy. So if you are REALLY unhappy then yeah start looking for another.

That said you state you are in the job for 17 years and in the industry for 30 years. So you are probably in your 50s right? Not to long to go for retirement so with all this giving you easy tasks does that mean your job is cushy? is the pay well? You know where I am getting here because we all have to be smart. We work to live, not live to work and many a person would gladly take condescending remarks from a boss in this world knowing the pay is great and the work is light.

So weigh up your options. Best to start sending out your CV to jobs tho as you can get a better grasp on things. You should see what other companies are willing to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Hi all

Could I get your thoughts?

I've been with my job for almost ten years and in the industry for 17 (employed for near 30).

I'm not a manager or anything but was given responsibilities and was a source of information.

A year ago a new team was created and since then things have deteriorated. The boss seems to have zero confidence in me. Despite my experience when a question is asked even on the occasions it's to do with my previous role he'll ask someone else- usually someone new which is really demoralizing

Look up the legal definition of bullying in the workplace
    Bullying is repeated inappropriate behaviour that undermines your right to dignity at work. It can be done by one or more persons and it is aimed at an individual or a group to make them feel inferior to other people. Bullying can be verbal bullying, physical bullying or cyber bullying which is carried out on the internet or mobile phones, through social networking sites, email and texts. It can take many different forms such as:

Social exclusion and isolation
    Damaging someone’s reputation by gossip or rumours
    Intimidation
    Aggressive or obscene language
    Repeated requests with impossible tasks or targets

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/equality_in_work/bullying_in_the_workplace.html

Please don't underestimate the effects of such behaviour on your health.

The question is what you should do.

Number one is to keep a log book of every incident and include a note on how it impacted you as an employee etc

Second thing is to consult your employment contract / employees handbook which employers are obliged to give you outlying their anti bullying policies

If and that's a big if you think your HR may be helpful - communicate your concerns in writing

Otherwise seek independent professional advice first

Best of luck OP - I have been through similar ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

gozunda wrote: »

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/equality_in_work/bullying_in_the_workplace.html

Number one is to keep a log book of every incident and include a note on how it impacted you as an employee etc

Second thing is to consult your employment contract / employees handbook which employers are obliged to give you outlying their anti bullying policies

If and that's a big if you think your HR may be helpful - communicate your concerns in writing

Otherwise seek independent professiobal advice first

Great advice there have to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Otherwise seek independent professional advice first

What the op describes is not bullying.

davo10 wrote: »
    What the op describes is not bullying.
    Bullying is repeated inappropriate behaviour that undermines your right to dignity at work.

I would respectfully disagree. Have you compared his description of what he has experienced with the legal definition given or is that just your opinion. ? Perhaps you should let the OP make that final call ...

I'm interested in what do you think workplace bullying is?

I would respectfully disagree. Have you compared his description of what he has experienced with the legal definition given or is that just your opinion. ? Perhaps you should let the OP make that final call ...

I'm interested in what do you think workplace bullying is?

It is necessary for supervisors to criticise employees in the workplace on occasion and it does not constitute Bullying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

I appreciate all your comments and since posting I talk to a couple of colleagues. Turns out they feel the same and we're going to talk to him.

Appreciate the help all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭jackboy

I appreciate all your comments and since posting I talk to a couple of colleagues. Turns out they feel the same and we're going to talk to him.

Appreciate the help all

Be careful how you do it. Be respectful and don't verbally attack him.

It is necessary for supervisors to criticise employees in the workplace on occasion and it does not constitute Bullying.

From what the OP wrote - constructive criticism is not evident. What the poster describes in detail goes way beyond that and Imo sounds like workplace bullying according to the definition.

Appreciate the help all

At least two people should take a record of what is said - this will ensure what is said cannot be misrepresented. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Criticize the behaviors... not the employee.

Always tackle specific behaviors (with a view to changing them). By tackling the person you’re leaving yourself wide open to accusations as you’re ignoring the specific actions that have caused the problem in the first place.

Criticize the behaviors... not the employee.

Always tackle specific behaviors (with a view to changing them). By tackling the person you’re leaving yourself wide open to accusations as you’re ignoring the specific actions that have caused the problem in the first place.

Critisizing the employee is not considered bullying just because the employees feelings are hurt.

Sometimes correction and instruction are necessary in the functioning of any workplace to ensure that productive work is engaged in. It may be necessary to point to faults, that can be unpleasant for the op but it's not bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Critisizing the employee is not considered bullying just because the employees feelings are hurt.

Sometimes correction and instruction are necessary in the functioning of any workplace to ensure that productive work is engaged in. It may be necessary to point to faults, that can be unpleasant for the op but it's not bullying.

Constant criticism shouldn't be necessary for someone who has worked in the position for ten years though. I would suspect that kind of micro-managing would be related to a lack of confidence in the manager and therefore could well be bullying.

Lux23 wrote: »
    Constant criticism shouldn't be necessary for someone who has worked in the position for ten years though. I would suspect that kind of micro-managing would be related to a lack of confidence in the manager and therefore could well be bullying.

The new manager may be changing systems and work practices, the op said newer younger colleagues are being asked to do tasks. It's not bullying.

The threshold for what is considered bullying is set very high and what the op describes goes no where near meeting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Sounds like he is afraid of your knowledge and experience

Advertisement