Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virus advice for dummies

Options
  • 21-10-2017 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,202 ✭✭✭

A dummy here looking for advice. A real dummy. Any advice is appreciated.

I have an Samsung J 5. Don't know much about it at all. There really should be a dedicated site for people who are ignorant like me of this kind of stuff. But here goes.

1 One recent problem in the last few days is when I get a text I get this message popping up which says:

Do not show app on top: Tap DISABLE to stop messages from appearing on top of other apps. New messages will not be shown in pop-ups even if Pop-up display is enabled.

Then in orange script at the bottom says Open Settings.

What does all of this mean in simple English? Tap DISABLE? Tap disable where? What am I disabling and why and how?

2 Recently having a lot of trouble with ads breaking in. This is happening a lot. Supermarket ads Lottery etc.

I think these are called pop ups? Have googled for help but can not make sense of what I am reading. When I search for advice it says go to your apps and uninstall apps that have malware/virus? So I go to my apps and I see a list of the apps I use but how am I supposed to know which HAVE a virus by looking at them? How do I know which apps are the baddies?

Background data. Don't really know what that is. Don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Should background data be switched on or off or what?

Any advice welcome for a dummy. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Firstly, you should google any message you see in case someone else has seen it too.

Secondly, did you install any apps recently? Android apps are not vetted as well as Apple and can contain bad stuff. Don't install things you haven't researched first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,202 ✭✭✭bobbyss

biko wrote:
    Firstly, you should google any message you see in case someone else has seen it too.

I get lots of ads : you may have won this or that. Something from An Post . A supermarket and God knows what else. I never open them as I thought that was bad. But what do you mean Google them? How would I know if others have seen them too by googling them? I thought to ignore them was the best policy?
    biko wrote:
    Secondly, did you install any apps recently? Android apps are not vetted as well as Apple and can contain bad stuff. Don't install things you haven't researched first.

I would have installed recent apps so if I remove (uninstall? ) them will the problem go away? Trouble is I don't know which apps would have caused the damage.

Most of the apps are from Google store so i had read that they would have been fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

bobbyss wrote: »
    I
    Most of the apps are from Google store so i had read that they would have been fine.

I'd start with the ones that didn't come from.the Google Play Store

• Registered Users Posts: 5,202 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Most of not all of the apps came from Samsung Galaxy Apps on my mobile. Is this different from Google play store? Does that make a difference? For example I have the irish independent app through the Samsung Galaxy Apps icon not the Google play store. Isn't it the same app? If it's an issue should I delete all of the apps and download them all from Google play store?

Advertisement